Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 12:11PM

name. I told him I had a large family, and that we were all going through stuff. He told me that the church discouraged members from submitting too many names, and that I needed to only submit only who was the most need. My mother was dying of kidney disease, my BIL was in the hospital with some other life threatening condition, and I had a grandparent who was suffering horribly from some stuff, but submitting three names was excessive according to my DL.

Now, today I know it was a bunch of BS and that the temple prayers could not do anything, but back then I believed, and was being told I should only use the magic on one needful relation. What a joke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 12:17PM

I remember at some time it was said that we shouldn't put long lists of names on the temple prayer roll, I very rarely put any names on unless I knew somebody who was very ill, but I knew members who put long lists of names on regularly, even all their family members for no other reason that "they can always use extra help".

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 12:19PM

Which brings up the point, why the hell not? It's all a scam anyways, so why can't you put all the names you want in? For that matter, if it was true, then are the Mos saying God is only capable of helping a limited number of people at any time, so we shouldn't crowd out the list?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 04:32PM

Plus there is the cost of all that paper! Any former temple workers know if they actually put names in those bags? They never open them up. Who is responsible for filling the prayer bags each day? Do they empty them at the end of the day? If they do put names in how big is the font? Are they individual slips of paper or a big roll of names?

Posted by: Monday Thinker ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 12:25PM

Another great example of how missionaries get sucked into the church through power trips. What is it his business to tell you how many names to put in?

The missionary leadership system creates the holier than thou atmosphere that the church wants translated to bishoprics on up. People can ignore the obvious falsehoods of the church because they're programmed to want power.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 03:56PM

Isn't that like limiting the number of words on the slips of paper Jews slip into the cracks of the Wailing Wall?

Anagrammy

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 04:36PM

Hmmmm, which prayer should I answer? Oh, this one was written on paper and stuck between two old stones! That makes it extra special! Sorry all you believers who can't travel to the wall to hand deliver your prayers in writing.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 04:37PM

Both of my parents were put on the temple prayer list in Cardston (AB) and had laying on of hands....in which I was encouraged/invited to participate (I would not have asked for the blessings in the first place)....and they both died shortly thereafter...whole bunch O' incantations for nuthin'...JMHO...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.