Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 30andscaredtotellmymommy ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 12:43PM

My DW just got home from a Stake Women's Conference in our area. The Stake Pres gave an opening testimony where he discussed the sacredness of women and re-emphasized that protecting that sacredness is why God doesn't allow us to know about our Heavenly Mother. It got me thinking...do you suppose the real reason is because God's a polygamist and we all have Mother's with different names? Or maybe its' because God is ashamed of his own polygamous nature?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 12:53PM

The Stake Women's Conference was opened by a man. Cool beans!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 01:02PM

When I was a TBM, my personal theory was that there was a heavenly mother for each different race. We were all God's children, just different mom's that sort of thing. I never shared this, because I knew it would offend many of my Mormon friends. Not the God being a polygamist, but that he might be married to a black woman.

Posted by: SarahDee ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 04:50PM

Not only was it opened by a man, but the program had a page-long bio on him. What the hell? There were 8 women teaching these mini-classes; not one of them had a bio printed, talking about how they "faithfully" served a 2-year mission or "faithfully" served as Bishop (or R.S. Pres, whatever...) before they reached the top.

I only stayed for the first rotation of classes and attended one about four awesome women of the scriptures. So awesome that the first two didn't have names. Sacred, indeed.

Date: February 25, 2012 04:56PM

Well the church did learn of the power of the penis and how it makes one super holy and authoritive from all the writings of the ancient misogynist a-holes that the middle east produced.

And why would you print up a bio about someone who couldn't even handle the simple task of being born with the right genitalia?

Posted by: SarahDee ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 05:00PM

+1 haha

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 05:39PM

It makes me shudder to think that at one time I would have been fine with that. Urgle.

Luckily I've attended several secular women's conferences/conventions/whatever and there has never been a single man in sight other than a few waiters here and there bringing us our lunch.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 07:57PM

Of course it was opened by a man, which is why there was the need for the token "sacred womanhood" speech. They know that they treat you like children and of course they are not going to allow women to run their own show.

Anyone know if it is church-wide Morg policy to have a priesthood representative at all church-related functions, even those that the women hold?

I know that it became a policy (or began to be strictly enforced sometime in the mid-1990's) in Roseville, CA where they had a crack down because apparently at one of the relief society social nights they were hot tubbing and some of the sisters went topless in the tub (no men were at the gathering, so they were like, NBD, lets just relax and loosen up!). Unfortunately, it was reported to the stake presidency by sister who was present and was made uncomfortable by what was going on. I wasn't in that stake at the time, but was in a neighboring one. I heard about it from a wonderful lady who I regard as my "adoptive mom". She thought that the hot tub situation was hilarious, her attitude was, "if it wasn't for this damn multiple sclerosis, I'd have been there... IDK if anyone would have appreciated me flashing my droopy tits, but I sure would have enjoyed a nice evening relaxing like that in a hot tub!"

Date: February 25, 2012 08:01PM

How do you get the calling for priesthood rep at a topless hot tub party? I think I just found a calling that could bring me back into the church.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 01:00PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 01:06PM

Mormons into polytheists.

Women today are told they are equal to men, who will surely become gods. Goddesses are as good as gods, right?

Heavenly Mother is a Goddess. The reason they don't talk about her has nothing to do with 'respect' and everything to do with looking even further out of step with other Abrahamic religions.

Posted by: 30andscaredtotellmymommy ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 01:31PM

I have this image in my head of the mormon God getting home from the office after a long day of "bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man". He plops onto His couch, grabs a glass of wine and flips on Modern Family only to be bombarded by His 14 million "stay at home" polygamous wives who immediately start ragging on Him about how rotten His kids had been all day and could He please do something about it...

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 05:15PM

Maybe the reason is because spirit bodies have more than one mommy?

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/4/21/172639.shtml
"Just ahead of Mother's Day, scientists have found a way to cut dads out of the picture, at least among rodents: They have produced mice with two genetic mothers and no father."

God's wife has a name, it has just been removed from most monotheistic faiths:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hebrew_Goddess
"Hebrew goddesses identified in the book include Asherah, Anath, Astarte, Ashima, the cherubim in Solomon's Temple, the Matronit (Shekhina), and the personified Shabbat Bride. "

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 05:41PM

I have a heavenly mother...

Her name is Anagrammy

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 05:45PM

If God is our father and Heavenly Mother is our mother than why are there some attractive people and some unattractive people? Why don't we all look like them exactly?

Date: February 25, 2012 05:48PM

Who was the spirit mother of Neanderthals?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 06:24PM

She must have been really, really short, whoever she was.

Date: February 25, 2012 06:29PM

Does God trade up when a prettier spirit mother comes along?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 06:31PM

He divorced the neanderthal AND flores human mothers? How evil! That's it! I'm NOT going to Celestial Kingdom with him!!

;)

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 06:25PM

Obviously it was Emma. Or Mary. Or Eve. Or Esther

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.