Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 01:40PM

I'm very open about being an ally, and my life is filled with wonderful friends that just don't have any concerns about sexual orientation. The wonderful LGBTQ folks in my life generally don't need to "come out" any more than the heteros. I hope one day to live in a world that's like that-- where it's just a non-issue.

Anyway, an LDS friend from my childhood just came out to me and it was a really special moment. She looked me up because she needed a safe person to talk to-- and I'm so totally and completely honored to be that safe person.

In my world, I don't have to worry about those things. In her world, she does. I just respect and admire her bravery and I'm thankful to be worthy of her trust. I'm so relieved in a way, to know that I've lived my life publicly (and apparently through gossip) in a way that made her think of me when she just needed to tell another soul.

Anyway, I won't say anything else but that "coming out" is not a passe concept for "something other than completely hetero" LDS individuals and I realize now more than ever that however vicious and insensitive members can be about apostates, I feel like it is absolutely necessary that I keep being myself-- the annoying, offensively-progressive, liberal exmo that everyone in the old ward gossips about. Whatever the downsides have been, the benefits have more than outweighed it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 01:45PM

When a friend of mine came out to me, I just said, "You're the same person you were 10 minutes ago, right?" She said, "Yeah." So I said, "Doesn't make any difference to me." She thanked me and we just carried on as usual.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 02:03PM

You are awesome! I wish the world didn't need declarations of private, or not so private things. Just be.

I agree that you should continue to be a genuinely authentic. I am sure you are impressing more people than you know.

Posted by: SarahDee ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 02:17PM

Thumbs up. Well said. Keep being awesome.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 02:44PM

I admire you for being your authentic self. You are doing just what you are supposed to do. That fact that you inspire others means that you are worthy of respect. Job well done!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 03:03PM

that it is not just ok to be who we are--it is golden.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.