Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 10:20AM

I watched a program of Oprah where 8 new nuns became the Bride of Christ.
Does that not make them a polygamous bunch of sister wives?
Did anyone else catch that?
Librarian

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:54AM

Of course they won't see it that way because it's symbolic. Yet the concept of it doesn't seem that different from what the Mormons came up with. A bunch of women are dedicated to a male god enough that they will use the symbolism of the word bride. Why not use apostle or servant? At least the Mormon version has the women thinking they will be Goddesses some day.

I personally think this is the verbiage they use to compensate for the fact that they don't marry. "I may have ended up a celibate nun but darn it, I'm a Bride of Christ."

Some of the Catholic rituals make the Mormon ones look like tree house child play.

The book Galileo's Daughter gave a lot of insight into what being a nun was really like back then. It will make you want to vomit. Women didn't have a lot of options. That religion has truly kept women in their place for two thousand years.

Good to see you still around, Librarian.

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 04:08PM

No suggestion of any kind of sexual relationship with Christ.

The idea comes from a couple of different Bible sources, both intended to COMPARE the intimacy of the relationship between God and people to the marriage relationship. It is never even hinted at that this should be taken literally. In the Old Testament, Israel is described as a bride; even today the Jewish Sabbath is poetically called a bride. In the New Testament, the relationship between Christ and the church is compared to the relationship between husband and wife. Christ is repeatedly referred to as the Bridegroom.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 09:21PM

Observer, I thought this was a really thoughtful post, as well as informative.thanks

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 10:18PM

laluna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Observer, I thought this was a really thoughtful
> post, as well as informative.thanks
I also agree with Observer. It is symbolic -just as Christ is the bridegroom and the church is the bride. There is no actual sex or marriage involved and no polygamy.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:41AM

"In the New Testament, the relationship between Christ and the church is compared to the relationship between husband and wife. Christ is repeatedly referred to as the Bridegroom."

Still, it's sexist. Only nuns are referred to in that light. And recall how "in those days/during their time" women were chattel along with their bovine counterparts and dry good. Not an appealing thought.

Males who enter the priesthood have no such suggestive symbolisms attached to their religious commitment. Perhaps some of them refer to themselves as "slaves", but that's gender neutral. In the end, it all boils down to silliness. All of them are either 'brides' or 'slaves'. You'd think a supreme being could come up with a better language for the relationship. (hey, don't look at me, I never claimed a was a god...only a god "in embryo" LOL)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.