Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 04:01PM

My family don't allow me to talk about religion around them. That's fine, because I'd prefer they keep their whacked out views to themselves.

However, today Dad broke our little rule and sent out an email to everyone which was a transparent attempt to use the holiday to divide the family. It had nothing to do with Thanksgiving well-wishing. It was about using the holiday as an opportunity to shame unbelievers. Here's what he wrote:

This is a time to remember those things which we are thankful for receiving; like a good job, or thankful for not receiving; like sickness. As a family we have been blessed untold times in each of our lives and sometimes collectively as a family. I thought we might reflect on Thanksgiving Day and how it came about from pilgrims to early history to today.

Love, Dad

A THOUGHT FOR THANKSGIVING

George Washington set aside November 26 as a day of thanksgiving with the following proclamation. I thought it might be a good day to read it and understand it in the context of all that is going on in our nation today. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

Naturally, I wasn't going to sit still for that. Here's my reply:

Thanks Dad.

In the spirit of holiday well-wishing, I would hope that our country has evolved beyond Washington's theistic world view to include everyone in our holiday observances and also to show thanks to the right folks. There are so many people who have made sacrifices and to whom we owe thanks, including friends and family, soldiers and veterans, farmers, doctors, science and scientists -- I hope we also remember these people and not just invisible gods. Celebrations should be a time for inclusion and not an opportunity for religious division.

Best wishes this Thanksgiving holiday.

Love, Sam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 04:16PM

Date: November 25, 2010 04:18PM

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 08:29PM

Mak,

Sorry to put it to you so succinctly. Your dad is a douche. My dad is too. He would rather defend, passively, his fairytale than just have the courage to doubt (even for a second). When we find that our parents are just mortals, it is a rough enlightenment... but a necessary one. They just will not get it. We have to be the better people.

Hope your Thanksgiving was rockin' anyway.

HH =)

Date: November 25, 2010 09:02PM

He's going to get it every time he pulls this crap though. I did have a great Thanksgiving. Hope you and your family had a good one too.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 05:25PM

You don't really want to get me started on this, but last night my mom also wanted to break a rule and talk about some stuff including our relationship. It was OK and even sort of weirdly productive, but I didn't like it and will not be doing it again. We'd have to do it too many more times to make it worthwhile, and I'd have to listen to too much Mormon and tea party nonsense that she insists on throwing in. And in the end, she'd have a license to assail me with ridiculousness.

I don't remember if it was before or after our relationship, but it included America being the most bestest country ever, and she *loves* it, and she loves our flag, so much that she wants to buy a flagpole.

So I'm very surprised to learn we had national transgressions. I guess I never heard of them because they were all in the first 23 years.

Good reply to your dad.

Date: November 25, 2010 07:00PM

I'm glad you and your mother are working a few things out. I just don't understand why they can't just leave religion and politics out of conversations. It's basic manners, and Mormonism is so warped. But this went way beyond that. My father's email was particularly pointed at me for reasons I don't want to discuss publicly. It was just uncalled for.

What's more, he did not answer my reply. Then my mother called over here later and acted all weird. She asked what my son is doing and then told me to say hi to him for her. I said that I can do one better. She can (join the human race and) say hi to him herself, and I handed him the phone. They talked for two minutes, and he said she hung up on him. I think actually the call was dropped, but she never called back. He thinks Grandma is weird as shit, and I can't disagree.

I was planning a trip up there for next week, but now I'm thinking I should reconsider. They've regressed about ten years today.

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 07:48PM

Sorry to hear 'bout the usual TBM issues... But here's hoping you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, with or without family.

I've learned to do my own thing with my kids at holidays, just so we don't have to be subjected to things I don't believe in during the few times a year when we can really enjoy ourselves....

Date: November 25, 2010 07:52PM

I did that today too. I spent Thanksgiving with my son and his other grandparents. Hope you're having a good one!

Date: November 25, 2010 07:55PM

I told her some stuff that she took pretty well, which is why I say it was weirdly productive. But it wasn't the real stuff.

My son also thinks his grandma is weird as shit, and so do my brother's kids, which is actually how the relationship discussion started. My SIL's big mouth and unwillingness to let my mom be who she is is a big part of that problem. Different deal with my son--I just didn't like exposing him to my parents' disapproval of his behavior (read: my parenting). The few times I did, it didn't go well.

Funny how she doesn't point out that she's hardly ever seen Kidbotaz, who now lives about 10 miles away from her and isn't beating down her door either. She doesn't want to know why, and I don't think she needs to know. So she's going on about my brother's family not caring about her, and I can't say much about that without revealing what they've said.

Then she sez, "You and I used to be close, but we're not anymore."

I thought we were close, too, but we really weren't, and that's another thing I can't say. So instead I asked if she really wanted to go there.

She said no, but then went there anyway, and that's how I learned that not wanting to talk about George Soros is an example of how controlling I am.

George Soros! She had tossed him in out of left field earlier in the conversation, and I had told her I wasn't going to discuss politics and to change the subject. She kept at it for a few minutes, too, before giving up and moving on to something else.

It's like you said, basic manners. Why she has such a strong need to talk about George Soros is a complete mystery to me.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 08:00PM

Sounds like she's been watching and/or listening to Glenn Beck.

Date: November 25, 2010 08:08PM

Munchymomom is the ultimate FoxFan, calls it *her* FoxNews. Her TV died and I imagine she's been in withdrawal for a few weeks, but RC Willey is bringing her a new TV on Monday.

Date: November 25, 2010 11:35PM

God, how embarrassing. My mother believes George Soros is trying to ruin America, because Glenn Beck said so.

Date: November 25, 2010 08:02PM

If the family member isn't in the church, then they aren't really in the family. So, it's okay to throw out all kinds of disdainful religious crap, because if you don't suck it down then you're not really family. That's what I think.

Anyway, I like what Bridget does. Just do your own thing and leave toxic people to themselves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.