Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:37AM

I can't recall a singe instance but I am looking to disprove my hypothesis that since truly adopting the 12th AoF at the beginning of the 20th century, the church has never spoken out against government-sanctioned injustice.

Prove me wrong!

(Maybe not the best forum to pose this question...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:00AM

...they don't want to risk having missionaries kicked out, so rather than standing for something, they turn a blind eye.

Besides, the church is so self-obsessed it's probably oblivious of injustices. And in the odd instances they become aware, they probably think the solution is to convert more people.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 09:53AM

Not that I recall. It mostly just decries injustices against itself.
As for the problems of the world, the basic stand has always been that if they had the LDS gospel, those problems would take care of themselves.

And remember when Clinton was having his troubles, and Hinckley was on tv? He simply refused to say anything bad or condemnatory, but that the laws would take care of it. At the time, we were told to think that it was wonderfully generous of Hinckley, but I suspect that he was really just trying to focus of keeping people from getting mad at us. And that has always been priority #1- to be as popular as possible in the eyes of the world.

Let all hell boil over and let calamities arise as long as they do not negatively affect the church, but once they do, we'll cry persecution as loud as we can.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:04AM

Nazi Germany, for instance: The church likes to spin stories about certain German members who stood resistant to the Nazi regime. Yet during that time, the church sucked up to them as much as any of the other churches in order to preserve their status.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.