Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:16PM

MIL and FIL told me last night after Thanksgiving dinner gays will be protesting at Gilbert temple due to Packer's speech. She gave me Ensign to read his speech. Told her, "You know, he edited that speech for the Ensign. It has been changed from the original text given at GC. (face fell because she was unaware this ever happens) She questioned me until my TBM FIL said it was true what I said. She said, "Well, they never edit the words of the Prophet.". I kept quiet because I wasn't sure if that is the case and even if it were I probably would have kept quiet so as not to deliver too many insightful blows at once. It was fun though. Sorry, but it was fun to see her face fall. He he.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:22PM

That would have been fun. Never let an opportunity like that fall by the wayside. Good job.

Date: November 26, 2010 02:31PM

Thanks. I feel gleeful. Giddy even. And I was nice and subtle. I would not have known to investigate Packer's speech if not for being alerted by this site. These opportunities to instill doubt are few and far between. Apparently whether something is actually true or night might matter to her. Time will tell.

Date: November 26, 2010 02:32PM

Or not. Not night. I'm typing on my iphone

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:46PM

Well, they've certainly edited Brigham Young's sermons, and Joseph Smith's journals from the History of Church...

Date: November 26, 2010 03:04PM

Could you even imagine that scenario? They would flip. I will have to check out BY and JS edited stuff. I'm not familiar. They accuse me of being stuck in the 1800's. Their new line for me.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:33PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 07:16PM by winecountrygirl.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:54PM

suckafoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will have to check out BY and JS edited
> stuff. I'm not familiar. They accuse me of being
> stuck in the 1800's. Their new line for me.

Well the D&C changes are a start:

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changingtherevelations.htm

Changes in Joseph Smith's History:

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech13.htm

And the LDS Church's aversion to the Journal of Discourses (general conferences from the 1800's)

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 06:52PM

you never know what little thing to add to "the shelf" will bring the whole shelf crashing down.

Posted by: vern ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:18PM

Wow, haven't listened to a conference speech in years (thank God) but my tbm husband did. He chose to listen to this particular speech off the website because he thought the title sounded good. He was upset and a bit disgusted by what he heard. I think he's finally taking the baby steps.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 02:33AM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:43PM

The revelations that Joseph Smith received and then printed in the Book of Commandments (1833) that were certified by God as being "true" (D&C 67:4-8), when later published as the Doctrine and Covenants (1835), had by then undergone major editing.

See the original text and the revisions at http://www.2think.org/hundredsheep/boc/boc_main.shtml

Suggest to MIL that she buy a copy of the original BoC from Deseret Book and compare the text word for word with her D&C.

Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:52PM

It surprises me how much merit the public puts on good 'ol Packer. The guy is a f***tard and the very fact that they even react to the man is giving him way more credit than he deserves! Just ignore him. He's nothing but a bigot and he probably gets his rocks off knowing how much controversy he causes. Just ignore the senile old man.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:23AM

Packer revealed himself as a nutjob long, long ago when he condemned the Beatles and their destructive potential.

Date: November 26, 2010 08:08PM

Thanks for all the links you guys. Gives me more to study on discrepancies for ammo for just those perfect times to chip chip away at this veneer. Everyone take up their chisels and we will do it a bit at a time.

Posted by: Yeast infected ass crack ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 08:12PM

Does it have any particular meaning?
My s/n reflects a nagging side effect of diabetes.

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 08:27PM

Try taking an Apple Cider Vinegar tablet with each meal. ACV doesn't feed yeast - it helps keep it in check and improves digestion.

Also, although you probably already do this, avoid high fructose corn syrup and MSG like the plague.

Date: November 26, 2010 08:48PM

Date: November 26, 2010 08:43PM

Does my name sound gross? It's short for sucker fool. But if it sounds yucky I might change it.

Date: November 26, 2010 08:51PM

Now my s/n is gross as hell, and that was my intent, LOL!

Date: November 26, 2010 10:14PM

Your s/n would sound even better if it contained the word pustule.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 03:01AM

damn right, it was funny seeing the look on her face,and the only thing that would have made it even better was catching the action on video to relive & share with others, with that said
I also want to acknowledge that this is a very hard thing to actually do & still maintain the beautiful pure natural essence of the situation, but if MORmONS can pretend that they had a prophet then I should be able to fantasize about capturing those wonderful kinds of events on video & maybe even somehow actually catch one of them on video. & yes I think it would be funny to have seen my own face when someone revealed some of the original LDS doctrines to me.

The next BoM-B you can drop, among others, relative to the prophets words not being changed are the edits to Joe SMiths BOM that were made to revise the described scriptural relationship between the Father & the Son.The changed /added words are few but the implications are massive!

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:32AM

Oh come on people! We can't leave out the ELEPHANT OF ALL ELEPHANTS in the room..

1984 anyone?

Not the book....the actual year 1984 (the irony) when Ron Poelman gave his conference talk about the church and the gospel being 2 separate and distinct things.

They BROUGHT HIM BACK the next week..and he REGAVE his EDITED TALK ..they SPLICED IT IN LATER, and ADDED A COUGHTRACK...then tried to sell it off as the original and completely edited the ENSIGN for it.

This poor mantool then says, "Well, it was my idea..." SURE..that "SPIRIT" which prompted him to give his ORIGINAL then prompted him to EDIT it TOTALLY.

Amazing, modern day 1984.

Posted by: LonelyHusband ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 06:21PM

Wow, thanks for bringing that up LB, I had never heard of Ron Poelman before (15 years before my time with the church). Reading the talks side by side really illuminates what I have felt is wrong with TSCC. I thought the original talk was actually really good and echos some of the feelings I still have... the edits on the other hand show how the LDS leadership want to control and supress free agency and individual expression.

(original text is a bit hard to read with strike-thru but worth your time to see how controling TSCC wants to be)
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2600407/posts

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:12PM

I know I have posted this several times before,
Shortened version but here goes.

I was in Salt Lake City visiting from another country.
I sat in the Tabernacle and listened to Ron Poleman talk
I sat in a very prominant edge of the row seat, clearly visible
I went back home mid-week
Following Sunday went ot Stake Center to watch the films of Conference, before the days of live satalite
Got the Ensign -Nothing like the talk I had actually heard

I HAD BEEN ERASED FROM THE TABERNACLE AUDIENCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to a friend in the COB, they had called in the a mock up audience from surrounding stakes and had him regive the talk and spliced it seemlessly into the TV films.

JB

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 06:51PM

That is how the Corp. sells him.

Or did they edit that as well?

Date: December 02, 2010 09:13PM

That's a great link. I'll have to read it from work when I have no one over my shoulder. Is this America? Anyway, I think it would be great to come up with some subtle ways to drop faces once in awhile. I was so satisfied by it I know I must do it again sometime.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.