Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soazexmo ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 12:06AM

From my observations, the phenomena goes something like this:
Someone barely starts to chuckle about something, tries hard to hold it in, others peek around to see what's up, others join in, someone cracks up, and eventually the whole darn prayer is ruined.
For some reason, the harder you try to hold it in, the worse it becomes!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 12:38AM

I used to have a crazy big parrot who had the absolute BEST timing! We'd have the mishies over for dinner and they'd be expounding about something beautiful during prayer and Sinbad would throw his head back and screech out "Bwhahahaha, haaaa, haaaa!" It certainly started me laughing if nothing else.

Posted by: subliminal ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 01:38AM

A couple Christmases ago I had a family reunion. After singing silent night or something like that, my dad whispered something to me. Of course we both started laughing and we couldn't control it. All while the rest of the family was giving me the evil eye. I don't remember what was so funny though.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:17AM

farts during the prayer.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 03:52PM

and you could here him mumble in the mic "shit". Now that was funny.

Posted by: The Cheshire Cat ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:28AM

opening prayer. I was so embarrassed, but it only lasted for a second or two ; ) Everyone around our pew was cracking up, so helped me to not feel "too" embarrassed.
But, maybe helped to break the "monotony", eh? : ) Life's litte jests . . . .

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:36AM

Yes, forbidden laughter is the best kind! I'm sure that is the reason that the Mormons insist the members sit with their families and not with their friends. My friends and I sang in the choir, and we got "the giggles" so often that we weren't allowed to sit on the stand with the rest of the choir. Testimony was especially laugh-worthy.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 06:57AM

My six month old daughter discovered a hole in her face while sitting on my lap at the back during Sunday school. She had the funniest expression as she dug her finger into her nose, our whole back row couldn't stop our snickers during the closing prayer.

Posted by: giggles ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 07:27AM

To know about the giggle loop is to become part of the giggle loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iKjkPgVQcE&feature=related

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:03PM

One time I was a ward mission leader. I went to the Elders apartment with 3 other top dawgs from my ward for "missionary splits." There were 8 of us kneeling around a large circle. The Bishop farted during my prayer and it stunck so bad. He was a big guy. Similar to the Bishop being able to keep it corralled on one end, on the other end I couldn't keep it together either and I started laughing as I was trying to give the prayer. No one else laughed though. When I raised my head, having sped up the prayer and closing prematurely - all eyes were fixated on me as if to say, "you heathenistic unrighteous sacreligious jerk." They shook their heads in disgust of my unruliness. Hee hee.

Posted by: The Cheshire Cat ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:21PM

both my brothers went on LDS Missions, so I can only imagine if this happened to them while "serving". I can't believe you were the only one laughing (or, gagging from the smell) : )

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:46PM

What's wrong with laughing during prayer? God doesn't appreciate a sense of humor? Just look at the emu, for one example of God's sense of humor.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 trainee ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 04:50PM

Laughing during prayer is something that happens in all faiths and all religions. When you are a member of the same tribe, you will always find similar things funny.

There is nothing unique or special about the fact that laughing happened during prayer while you were a mormon. Your experiences are therefore invalid, and you have no reason to talk about them anymore.

Furthermore, that never happened to me while I was a mormon, so I seriously doubt they happened to you.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 05:28PM

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 05:35PM

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 07:52PM

HA HA HA!!!

Posted by: Angelofprayer ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 07:41PM

This is hot topic -- there is a new movement in which entire congregations break out into what they call "Holy Laughter". This started out in Lakeland, FL and has been making its way to churches throughout the US. Many are calling it a revival to churches -- a new outpouring of the Holy Spirit -- but beware -- scripture clearly states "test the spirits".

Researching I bumped into articles and videos on the Kundalini spirit deriving from yoga and meditation (Hindu religion) -- it lists this "Holy Laughter" as one of its manifestations.

Researching other religions on this topic - none show this as a good thing.

Muslim: states that laughter during prayer breaks wudu (which means purification prior to prayer) - in their religion -- it nullifies your prayers.

Santeria/Spiritism recognize this as a manifestation of an evil spirit

etc....

This spirit is allegedly transmitted by the laying on of hands.

"My people perish for lack of knowledge." Beware of these strange doctrines without knowing their origin.

God bless.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 08:03PM

How about laughter during the prayer circle in the temple?

See "Adventure in the temple" at http://packham.n4m.org/templex.htm and search for "giggle"

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 08:39PM

The bishop was dedicating my grandmothers grave. His prayer went on and on and on. My 4 year old son piped up and said, Mama, when are they going to bury that old dead mother? Everyone started laughing. The bish looking very annoyed, ended his prayer.

Posted by: Uncle Max ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:05AM

There used to be a woman in our ward who sang very loud, very flat and a beat behind everyone else. On a good day she could drag half the people out of time with her.

Dad and I couldn't catch each other's eye because she made us crack up.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:07AM

When I was 12 or 13, my older brother and I helped the home teachers give a get-better, hands-on-the-head "health" blessing to our father. As the HT was going on and on, my stomach growled loudly. I started giggling, although trying to supress it. My brother started to giggle as well. The HT then hit the back of my hand with the tip of his index finger (to get my attention, I guess), and inserted into his blessing: "And we ask thee to cast out the evil spirit that has entered this circle..."

I decided then that the HT could f*** himself. I took it that he was calling me an "evil spirit."

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:30PM

Hmm.. I believe it was Kathy Griffin who calls inappropriate laughs "church giggles." lol

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:47PM

before you wreck yourselves.

Yea, verily, even Jesus has said that there shall be no lightmindedness or loud laughter. I suppose we must be reminded of that in the temple to keep us from cracking up at how ridiculous we all look doing the holy handshakes, the heavenly hokey-pokey, and the hysterical hallelujahs in the prayer circle.

HEY YOU! STOP LAUGHING!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.