Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: britexmo ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 07:37AM

In this months church magazine delivery there was an insert about the UK distribution office closing down,as the church is consolidating all the worldwide operations of this kind back to Utah.

I had heard on the grapevine that Garrets Green had been closing, but I guess this is the real deal.

So much for the growth of the church ehh...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 06:28PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

I thought I had the warm fuzzies, Briggy. Turns out I need to hunt the Rennies down. ;oD

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 10:22AM

I'm from one of the more poor families and we wont be able to afford to up sticks and move to Utah any time soon mostly because of the ten percent thing. The other families in the ward are ritch enough to move. This might be seen as a sighn that we all have to move out of the UK and this will bring up a monatery devide in the members.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:31PM

I think visas are a bigger issue than money. People can not just move to this country because it's where the church is headquartered. THe church is not going to set aside jobs for a bunch of non-us citizens, let alone paying for attorney fees and visa fees, if they could even get such visas. It is not an easy thing.

The morg moving offices out of the UK is not the same as religious persecution, so people could not appeal on that level anyway.

There is no way to move to the US, just because the church is cutting offices and administration in your country!

Date: November 27, 2010 04:54PM

Hay I didnt say they would think with thair brains about it. Most of the men have hopes of plural wives in the CK soon so they arnt thinking with thair brains. it's one of the things that might set people here thinking that everyone can move to utah and all will be right with the world. It wont happen that way but some may be thinking it.

Date: November 27, 2010 05:33PM

They can think it, they can even buy a plane ticket and get on a plane. They won't make it past the airport though

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 10:34AM

Hi britexmo - think we met a couple of years ago in Birmingham when a few exmo's got together.

Yes, can confirm that the Garretts Green UK distribution has in fact closed. We new a few people who worked there. The last one finished last week. They have shut up shop!!!

Sad for those that have lost a job but I'm glad to see the church 'struggling'.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 11:11AM

I have read that LD$ Inc is the largest foreign landholder in the UK. I wonder what will happen to all that land if it not going to be used?

Date: November 27, 2010 11:22AM

To be honest theres really not all that much of it. A building here and there. If its just left to get deralict it wont be much of a change.

Date: November 27, 2010 01:33PM

If I'm not mistaken, they are also the largest landholder in Florida. THey raise cattle on the land. You wouldn't know it was LD$ land, unless you already knew. It's possible that they have a lot of land there used as investments that do not appear to be affiliated with the church (not church properties, meeting houses, etc.)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 03:55PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fat-cats-benefit-from-eu-farming-subsidies-780192.html?r=RSS

The church has a lot of agricultural for-profit interests world wide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 03:55PM by Heresy.

Date: November 27, 2010 04:53PM

When he went there, he was a lovely man.

After a year or so at the Church UK HQ, he had degenerated into a nasty, vile snob and so had his wife. Turned their children into monsters, too.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 07:20PM

At the bottom of the page to which you linked, there is this note:

"Nobody has looked into this recipient yet

"Currently all we know about AGRESERVES LTD are the few bits of information released by the United Kingdom government.
We need your help to find out more about this recipient. Is it a multi-national company or a small farm? What does it produce? Is it a subsidiary of a larger company? How large is it? Is it owned by anyone noteworthy?"

This is the link: http://farmsubsidy.org/GB/recipient/GB641044/agreserves-ltd/

Can someone send them information about the LDS Corp as owners?

Posted by: anon in UK ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 06:03PM

http://farmsubsidy.org/GB/recipient/GB641044/agreserves-ltd/

Have you seen how much the Church has claimed in EU subsidies through Agreserves in the past 11 years? Almost 16 million Euros!

We're paying for this through our taxes.

Date: November 27, 2010 06:11PM

anon in UK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://farmsubsidy.org/GB/recipient/GB641044/agres
> erves-ltd/
>
> Have you seen how much the Church has claimed in
> EU subsidies through Agreserves in the past 11
> years? Almost 16 million Euros!
>
> We're paying for this through our taxes.

Oh! Abso-fucking-lutely, pissing. bloody wonderful! >:o||

Drat it to heck! Oh, look! I ran out of swearwords! ;o))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.