Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: FreeThinker85 ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:45PM

My TBM Mom always posts church quotes around the house and many are directed towards me, so I shared this with my TBM Mom & family awhile ago by hanging it on the refrigerator. It remained there for a couple of weeks. And I think I got my message across. I am posting it so that others can share it on FB or wherever or just simply enjoy it.

"If I do not want what you want, please try not to tell me that my
want is wrong. Or if I believe other than you, at least pause before you correct my view. Or if my emotion is less than yours,
or more, given the same circumstances, try not to ask me to feel more strongly or weakly. Or yet if I act, or fail to act, in the manner of your design for action, let me be. I do not, for the moment at least, ask you to understand me. That will come only when you are willing to give up changing me into a copy of you.
I may be your spouse, your parent, your offspring, your friend, or your colleague. If you allow me any of my own wants, or beliefs, or actions, then you open your-self, so that someday these wants of mine might not seem so wrong, and might finally appear to you as right - for me. To put up with me is the first step in understanding me. Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that you are no longer irritated or disappointed with me for my seeming waywardness. And in understanding me you might
come to prize my differences from you, and far from seeking to change me, preserve and even nurture those differences."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 02:35PM

Ha! Beat 'em at their own game. :-)

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 03:31PM

and get moved out of that place! I'm guessing that the "TBM message fridge" is off limits for Satanic beverages like iced tea, beer, or iced coffee as well.

Date: March 10, 2012 05:50PM

I have moved out and I'm SOOO much happier now! And yep, the worse thing that's in the refrigerator would be CAFFEINATED soda, which my Mom has admitted she's addicted too (She's also Relief Society Prez and a highly social TBM in her stake.)

When I lived there I would also get heavy negative passive aggressive attitude from my Mom ONLY when she'd get home from church (NO other times!) I eventually made the choice that I was going to shower her with love when she got home and it eventually started to diminish her negativity towards me. Ironically though, she was the one coming home from a "church" that supposedly teaches "Love & values" and I wasn't, and she was the one with the hateful passive aggressive attitude! LOL But I see my TBM family as being completely brainwashed, so I understand where the "hate/fear" comes from. I feel bad for them.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 10:36PM

to be in, thinking that they are addicted to this evil sody-pop!

When in reality they're only addiction is to the mental and spiritual opiates that the Morg constantly pumps into their mind!

Date: March 11, 2012 05:50PM

I love that saying Mia, thanks! Cheryl, you are right about the quotes around the house being passive/aggressive swipes as well as self improvement reminders for them (keeps them on the "straight and narrow" brainwashed path.)

I see how passive/aggressive mormons are now, including my family, and it is really sick. Why can't people just communicate and be upfront with each other? I am so glad I think for myself now!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 06:03PM

I have sketch book where I write down sayings that I come across. Sometimes I put them up in my work room to keep me inspired.
One of my favorites:

If you never change your mind, why have one?
Edward DeBono

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 07:11AM

Sometimes these little quotes are passive/aggressive swipes to needle loved ones into compliance and sometimes they are part of self imprvement programs.

It's interesting that in some homes there are competing messages postes by opposing family factions. Depending on the family, this might be better than verbal idea interchanges I guess.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.