Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Grad ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 02:49PM

I attended the same college (BYU) for bachelor and master's degrees. Just wondering, anyone know if there is a way to get a transcript listing only the BA courses on it?

For some reason, BYU puts all my courses (BA and MA) onto the same transcript, but I want them separated out, so as to get an MA at a different schoo, without counting my existing MA degree.

Why wouldn't they separate them out if a grad requests them to do so? Is this done at all schools?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Another BYU grad ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 05:42PM

I have a BA and an MA (my MA isn't from BYU). I'm earning another MA on my way to a PhD. My program didn't see it as a liability that I had an MA in a different subject. Is there some reason why they wouldn't want to know you have an MA? A lot of programs require you to report credits earned at all universities, so I don't know if it is the best idea to hide your MA. Are you planning on getting the same MA?

Short story, I don't think any universities will not report credits that you've earned (for example when I get my PhD, I don't think my current university would be willing to hold back on my credits that earned my MA).

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 08:22PM

"so as to get an MA at a different schoo, without counting my existing MA degree."

I'm with Another. I don't see that one MA or your BA and MA on one transcript will prevent you from being accepted to or getting another MA at a different school.

If we are misunderstanding the situation, please let us know.

There's any # of RfM'ers with lots of academic experience.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 10:53PM

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 11:16PM

Are you ashamed you got an MA in LDS Theology or had bad grades in your MA at BYU?

Posted by: too lazy to register ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 11:41PM

I got a BS from BYU (let's face it, that's all they teach, heehee), and an MS from a different university. The school where I did my MS lists my degree and GPA from BYU on their transcript. I think it's standard procedure. It sounds a little strange to me that you're trying to hide your academic history. If you truly have something you're concerned about, maybe you should talk to an academic advisor or even a lawyer, if it's that kinda thing.

Date: March 11, 2012 02:45PM

I guess earlier I thought if I got my BA from BYU, and a new MA from a different school, there would be a way I could ask BYU to supply a transcript of only the BA courses to me, but they will only issue me a transcript listing all the BA and MA courses I did at that school.

Why does this matter? I want to apply for a PhD at a new school but don't think my chances of getting in are very good with MA from BYU, so thought I could retain my BA from BYU on one transcript,

Next get MA from a new school, and then apply for PhD using just the BYU BA, new MA.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 04:18AM

I'm a university prof, and I can vouch for what has been said about transcripts. Universities list everything you've taken and all degrees earned on a single transcript. Most universities will allow you to complete a Masters degree even if you already have one from another institution, but they will expect full disclosure of your courses and grades when you apply to their program.

Date: March 11, 2012 02:12PM

I do not like that I have degrees from BYU, period, and want to get a new degree or two, in the same subject from a more reputable school.

I understand that I can possibly transfer credits from my BYU degree(s) over to the new school, but will still have to take additional courses to get the new degree from new school.

I'm doing this because I want to have degrees from any school other than BYU. It's a personal choice, so don't reply saying "It's not so bad having a BYU degree." I just don't like having BYU on my record, period.

But I guess I can just skip all of this and just get the brand new degree somewhere else, and when I go to apply somewhere for a job or further grad work, just list the brand new degree. That makes sense, too...

I I can get the new degree by transferring credits over from BYU, then it might be faster and cheaper to get the new degree. But if I do that, then BYU transfer credits will still show up on my new transcript, right? All the courses I did previously from BYU will still be listed on the new transcript.

So in essence, if I want a transcript that shows zero BYU courses, I could just start from scratch with a new degree from a new school without transferring anything over.

Date: March 11, 2012 02:50PM

Unfortunatly transcripts stick to you even worse than criminal records. At least in some cases you can get your criminal records expunged and sealed.

For grad programs, they are always going to require all your prior transcripts whether you want to transfer credits or not. They are also going to track your financial aid history with your social security #. Thus, they will always know that you went to BYU. Not disclosing all prior transcripts will create more problems than it will solve. Now if you want to change your name, social security number and assume a completely new ID . . .

If you don't want to list BYU on future resumes or vitas, that's up to you, so possible employers might not know about your BYU experience.

But in the age of Google not too much is private. You might want to think more about how to explain yourself to others rather than how to completely aborate your BYU experience.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 04:41PM

I think you need to just live with the BYU degrees.

I was on several academic job search committees this year and read nearly 400 different applications. Members of those committees (me included) expect people to be completely honest about what degrees they hold and where they got them. With the market as tight as it is these days for academic positions, the slightest hint that someone is hiding something on a resume is likely to kill their chances at the job. Finding out you're not listing important credentials is way worse than seeing a degree from BYU in most cases.

Don't worry -- you'll still get work/further grad opportunities with degrees from BYU. I have a BA and MA from there and still got into a great school for my PhD and now have a tenured position at a large Research I university.

Date: March 11, 2012 06:11PM

But If I go out and get two brand new degrees, then there is no need for me to ever list my BYU degrees on a resume. It's a personal choice, no?

As far as going for a PhD, the easiest route would be to stick with the two Y degrees that I have and go forward them, but I am looking at a major life change and just getting 2 totally new degrees.

So in my way of thinking, it is a matter of choice as tp which degreees I wish to list on my transcript.

But going the route mentioned earlier of trying to get my existing transcript changed, it sounds like I'm stuck with it as is.

So if I decide to go forward and get 2 brand new degrees, without trying to transfer any BYU Credit towards them, doesn't that allow me to start up a brand new transcript at new school, and thus, there is no need for anyone to know about or check into the BYU degrees? Unless I wanted them to be known?

Date: March 11, 2012 06:15PM

It's clear that if I want to try to transfer credits from BYU over ot the new degree program/school, then everything will be on my transcript.

I was just curious as to whether or not someone can apply to do a brand new undergrad degree somewhere with only submitting a high school transcript, and ignoring the previous university degree obtained.

When applying, do colleges and universities ask "what is the last grade completed?" when you apply? Obviously if they ask that, then it would be necessary to tell them about previous degrees. It's been a very long time since I was in college, so getting the new degrees is more than erasing BYU from my resume. It's about doing something new and upgrading, since there are much more interesting, newer programs out there than back when I was in college

Date: March 11, 2012 06:31PM

You will be asked for certified copies of transcripts from all schools you have attended.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 07:15PM

You could ignore a prior Bachelors degree in applying for a Bachelors program, since the requirements of hs diploma are all thats needed. However the disadvantge is no transfer of any credits, and maybe retaking The 101 core classes in math, English, Govt, ect.

I have two Bachelors. One was from a third rate college.

I never put it (the 3rd rate BA) on my masters appplication.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 06:45PM

I have to 2nd what lulu is saying. You'll generally be required to submit a transcript for all your post-secondary courseworok for any new program.

Having said that it may help to meet with their guidance counselor and explain what you're looking to do, and get some tips on how to approach it. If they have a personal statement as part of the application that would be another place to explain what your intentions are for seeking a new degree. If the plan makes sense, you'll probably be ok.

You may also want to consider adding some non-Mormony types of stuff to your resume. If you volunteered for another church, humanist society, gay rights organization, or something of that nature. Just so they don't get the wrong idea on what kind of diversity they're getting.

Date: March 12, 2012 01:25AM

Worst case scenario:

Transfer existing credits from existing BYU degrees to new college where I hope to get new degree. Some of the credits will transfer; some of them may not. Although this may help having to avoid repeating GE types of courses, BYU will still end up on the transcript.

Best case scenario:

Don't transfer anything over, and start fresh in a new BA degree program. Only new degree school on transcript.

Ultimately, must decide based on the type of program applying to and finances involved.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.