Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:31PM

Many months ago someone here posted a link to a YouTube video demonstrating the absurdity of the following reasoning: 'If the chruch is not true, and I follow its precepts, I've lost nothing. If the church is true, and I apostize, I've lost everything.'
In the video, the main character explained that he was worshiping just in case it was true. He then realized that many different religions claim to be true, so he was worshiping each of them (saying both islamic and catholic prayers daily, getting ready to leave on a Mormon mission, etc.)

Anyway, I could really use the link right now for an exchange I'm having with a freind.

Anyone know/remember what I am talking about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:33PM

The argument is called Pascal's wager. You're looking for an Edward Current video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJpZOljjG8

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 04:34PM

prick, and my pagan beliefs and actions will still get me to the Telestial Kingdom, which is just fine with me; I won't have to deal with polygamist twerps there, nor arrogant Mormon assholes.

Posted by: steven ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 09:35PM

egocentric, rude, socially retarded, narcicistic, gullidiots - like the mormons. I'll be fine in the telestial kingdom - where as I understand it, its just like the earth. Like Tim McGraw says in his song, I'll just "watch my corn grow..(and) plant my rockin' chair toward the west..where the green grass grows" and I'll be fine with that. I say hats off to Joseph Smith and his "worlds without number" and his harem of 100+ wives. I'm tired, and I just want to be on a quiet little farm in the Telestial Kindgom. I'll call it "Hell's Acres."

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 02:30AM

Very well done. I wish back when my grandfather had presented Pascal's wager to me I'd had the foresight to come up with a good response. This was many, many years ago though, and all I could think was, "That's ridiculous." However, I did get him on the science stuff, which was just as fun since he's a scientist and I'm not . . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.