Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 08:43PM

"so I think that if you haven't been sealed to your sweetheart yet david, you should soon
being sealed is the best thing EVER!
but I don't know if you have or not
so I apologize if this comes across offensive"

OMG...Really? He had to go there? I shot back with the most common issue recently showing up on this board and this was my response:

"did you know that now the LDS church has renounced that they have ever taught that we could become gods, or get our own planet? http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C13
That is one of the things taught in the temple, if I remember correctly.
I don't know if you knew this or not, so I apologize if this comes off offensive.
D&C 132 is full of becoming Gods and having our own world
D&C 132:20 'Then shall they be gods, because they have no end;

therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.'
I don't believe in the LDS church anymore, and would advise you to do your research"

I really wish the TBM crazies in my family would just let off!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 09:01PM by dragwit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: March 11, 2012 08:51PM

No one knows how to put a "spin" on something better that the LDS Church. I know I've been in SS & Priesthood lesons where this was taught.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 08:51PM by theoutlander.

Posted by: ktay ( )
Date: March 12, 2012 02:03AM

Great response!

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: March 12, 2012 05:23AM

amazing- and way to stand up for yourself and for a cause to help humanity. We all need to set straight the nutty fairytale wack thinking that enforces superficial judgemental religious woooha. The Mormon church is going to give me cancer or something--stresses me out. I applaud you and everyone that doesn't back down and stands up for truth. I liked how you gave it to that person straight forward. Of course they think satan and his army have seeped into our hearts and hardened them...those that are learned...blah blah that same old stuff they use to fill my young developing mind with.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2012 10:22AM

Loved that reponse. I want to know how it went over with the cousin.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 12, 2012 10:35AM

"Do Latter-day Saints believe they can become “gods”?

"Latter-day Saints believe that God wants us to become like Him. But this teaching is often misrepresented by those who caricature the faith. The Latter-day Saint belief is no different than the biblical teaching, which states, “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together” (Romans 8:16-17). Through following Christ's teachings, Latter-day Saints believe all people can become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4)."

The first time I read it, it sounded so vague and mealy-mouthed that I couldn't figure out what they were trying to say. Now I think you're right. They really are denying their apotheosis doctrine -- in their usual way of pretending they never officially taught it except for rogue members, of course. That's going to be hard for them, because it's one of the beliefs Mormons really dwell on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 10:37AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 12:10PM

The church's statement is very carefully worded to avoid denying their traditional belief. For example, they don't say that their belief is no different from that of traditional Christianity, but that it "is no different than the biblical teaching."

I doubt that the church can change its position without disowning all of the D&C passages that talk about becoming gods. Mormonism can change a lot of things, but it can't become monotheistic without denying many of its core beliefs. The statement is intended to mislead people into thinking that these core beliefs don't exist.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 12, 2012 10:36AM

They're just like the little kid who has done something naughty and tells mom & dad a lie to cover it up. But then, the kid has to tell *another* lie to cover up the first one; and then *another* lie to come up the second one; and on and on the lying goes…

…until the INEVITABLE moment when his parents get wise to the chain of lies.

The Morg will NOT be able to survive its OWN myriad lies and cover-ups!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 10:37AM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 12, 2012 10:38AM

Date: March 14, 2012 12:00PM

He responded that there has been too much in his life to convince him the church was true. I responded back with my experience of being 8, reading the BOM all the way through, and following Moroni's promise and there was No answer, so I blamed myself. Major depression ensued. I then told him since I have decided to pursue other spiritual ways that I have felt more love and peace in my life then ever before. He had no response to that. :-)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 12:05PM

"Being sealed is the best thing ever!"

Hahhahhhahhahaaaa!!

Date: March 14, 2012 12:10PM

The really funny thing is that I really haven't chatted with this cousin for a few months... And it happened on the day that I posted my love of coffee on my wall...

His comment was totally out of the blue!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.