Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:41AM

What did you do with your BOM? I tossed mine in the fireplace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desert_vulture ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:03AM

I still have it somewhere and actually started a small collection. I think they might be very valuable someday, just like the phony Kirtland money is today. Some of those worthless bills signed by JS go for thousands. So I went and saved some of the BoMs in storage, like the gold covered one with the fake reformed Egyptian lettering... that one is a classic. ;-)

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:06AM

They have already made 2 major changes, the into. and a scripture heading about the dark skin curse.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:14AM

You can never have too many hollowed out books, but you never want to use something that is meaningful.

Posted by: 100guy ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:50AM

I tossed my miniquad into the Fore River in Portland, ME. I still have the missionary BOM that my girlfriend gave me that led to my joining. It is filed with my box of life stuff, and I occasionally get it out when in the mood to look things up.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:52AM

Inevitably the church is gong to change it...we'll need proof.

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:58AM

I have one given to me by my boyfriend's RM cousin...whenever the mood strikes me, I grab some highlighters and coordinating post-it notes and mark things like contradictions, things that are completely ridiculous, etc. I'm saving it so that one day, if I see someone I love getting sucked into the LDS church, I can hand them the marked-up BoM so they can start doing their own research.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 10:41AM

and used it for target practice. I turned it into a REALLY HOLY BOOK.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 10:44AM

I kept them in case I need proof the cult changes things again.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:26AM

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:50AM

We've got a year's worth of Ensigns (not many), a bunch of past lesson manuals, and some other miscellaneous books, plus all my husband's mission stuff (journal, teaching materials/BoM...) I don't ever plan on getting rid of them, for 2 reasons:

1) Like it or not, it's part of our heritage.

2) I want proof in my hands when doctrine changes and they try to play dumb.

I would love to own an original collection of the Journal of Discourses, an original BoM (we recently ordered the remake of the original and intend to read through it while one of us follows in the current, to note changes for ourselves instead of trusting what others say on the internet. Still not as good as the real thing though), and other original stuff.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:35PM

anontoday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to own an original collection of the
> Journal of Discourses,

My mom has a copy that she is suppossedly willing to me. Now that I'm out she's probably changed that provision.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:55AM

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
by Carl Sagan

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:32PM

Helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in
> the Dark
> by Carl Sagan

Amen.

I still have all of my church books. I still enjoy looking through them and seeing what I highlighted and thought was important at that stage in my life, seminary, mission, etc. I plan on keeping them for the same reason.
I also think it'd be a little hypocritical of me to criticize the church for hiding embarassing documents from its past and then for me to hide my own past.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:02PM

I was forced to live with my TBM parents after my divorce, because I still had to pay my mortgage while trying to sell the old house. While I lived there I had to play by their rules, so I went to church with them. I didn't even ask, I needed a place to stay, so I just went with the flow.

During that time, I was able to go through the whole B of M in my quad and highlight all the anachronisms, contradictions and problems. I did it while in church and everyone thought I was being so good LOL

I'M keeping my quad because it is now a good exmormon resource for me.

I also have to say that I'll always be grateful to my parents for helping me in my time of need. As soon as my house sold, I moved out.

Posted by: Teddy ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:18PM

Got rid of it, so thoroughly that I forgot how.

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:19PM

i have no idea where mine went. i actually bought a triple combo in cambodian (i served in cambodia) and read it... for practice, not for spiritual enlightenment. unfortunately it's one of the few printed materials available in cambodian outside of cambodia.

Posted by: Mittens Romney ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:20PM

I put a stake through mine. It screamed while it died.

Posted by: heytherejules ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:26PM

I got in touch with my ex boyfriend because there is some church material I'd like to get rid of (especially "For the strength of Youth" and some crappy RS manuals), but I decided to keep my quad.

I was also tempted to throw my Bible away, but you never know. I'm working on a few essays and these resources could be useful.

I've had a lot of bad life experiences and the one that sticks out the most in my mind is related to the church itself. But it's still life and I might regret it later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 01:27PM by heytherejules.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:54PM

Posted by: jeb ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:57PM

I got rid of everything related to Mo'ism except my quad I used in seminary, and Bible/BOM that my parents gave me on my baptism day.

I'll keep them so I can reference them later if needed. With the way things are going, the BoM itself may be folklore in a few years. Could become a collectors item. ;-)

Posted by: Craig C ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 02:00PM

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 02:07PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 02:39PM

I have a burgundy calf-skin mini-quad with the snap. Except for the snap (which is like a trailer hitch on a Mercedes), it's a beautiful book. The pages are extremely thin. I love the book even if I don't care for the contents. It's one of the few souvenirs I kept from my Mormon misadventure.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 02:58PM

I have it on my book shelf. It was a present and engraved with my name, so I keep it.

Posted by: Convert ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 08:36PM

I burned it and uploaded it to youtube

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 09:16PM

It's not valuable, as it's a photo-copy of the first edition. But it's written in chapters, not verses. It's like the cheap junk novel that it was. It abounds with grammatical errors. I love how, at the end of it, it says: The End

Ha ha ha

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 09:20PM

I had about 4 of them, including a gold covered one with fake Egyptian writing on it, & I threw them all away. I was still active at the time because my mom forced me to go. After the age of 10, I only read them if I was forced to.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:07PM

Had one given to me by the mishies that were sicced on me by a "well meaning" friend thirty years ago. Had lunch with them one Saturday and lo and behold they showed up at my door a short time later just "being in the neighbourhood and all". I did invite them in, served up OJ to them while I opened a beer for effect and they launched into their spiel; I quickly changed the topic to "How are you enjoying Victoria" and left it at that...I was supposed to read the BoM but I threw it out into the dumpster that night with the bathroom trash. They dropped in again when I was not home and called once but decided I was a lost cause I guess.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:15PM

I through all Morg evidence directly into the county dump.

Incinerated! Even garmies. Bwaaahahaha

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.