Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jeb ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:03PM

While I understand it is his choice, I just want to shake him! My sister still refuses to go. In a short conversation via text, I told her not to go back if she doesn't believe and that I'm always here to listen. She has made it clear that if anyone (husband or family) pushes her to attend, she will never go back.

Neither of them has been to church since they graduated high school (~10 years), due to issues with some of the doctrine. My brother in law has been involved in the ward Scouting program for the past 3 years and has made friends in the ward. My parents and some aunts/uncles/cousins are in the same ward, and they are "just so happy he has returned to the true church".

I am trying to be optimistic that if my sister stays out, my brother in law will fall away again. Ironically, his returning to church has brought me back to RfM and caused me to finally send my resignation letter.

Sorry for the rambling post. This has been bothering me since I found out a month ago. Just felt like I needed to get it out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:26PM

Gotchya.

Right when I was "falling away" by taking a closer look at the Church's history and doctrine, my way-ward brother, his way-ward on/off again wife, and their 5 children (one of them is likely not his) were getting ready to go to the temple for the first time. My mom called to tell me, all excited, not knowing where I was at with things. I felt physically ill.

And now I get to see my sister-in-law's zealous facebook posts on a weekly basis.

In their case, though, being active in the Church is a major improvement from the way they went about life before.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 03:36PM

Scouts is the way to get outdoorsy people re-activated. "Hey, so-and-so likes to camp and shoot guns. Let's let him work with the Young Men." There's a guy in our ward whose wife is active but he has gone completely inactive. He is a constant source of discussion in Scout Committee Meetings--"How can we get ______ involved?" I always want to chime in, "Trust me. Leave him the hell alone. The last thing he wants is to be involved."

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 04:26PM

Sounds like a good situation to me. None of my family have ever been, or intend to ever be, inactive in the mormon church. Except me that is, and technically I'm still active! I'd love to have just one of them out for just a couple of months. That would be truly awesome.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 05:58PM

that returned after being ex'd never returned to full fellowship except for a few.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:15PM

That illustrates the danger of LDS Scouting and its secret agenda. Hope you parents who are on the fence about Mormon scouting are paying attention.

It is NOT the normal BSA program, it is chum in the water for little boys and young men.

Plus I always remind people to google LDS scout deaths to realize that these inactives called as leaders make TERRIBLE guardians of your children's lives in the wilderness.

Drive twice as far and take the boys to real Boy Scouts of America.

Anagrammy

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:46PM

Well clearly he knows nothing about the doctrine and history of mormonism. Often it is the jackmos and uninformed that can be the most rabid TBMs believe it or not.

One thing your sister can do is show him this site: www.howcultswork.com.

One does not need to understand doctrine or history to see the pattern of a mind-control cult all over mormonism. If he has these concepts in his head, he may just get this bell rung every week and then the actual behavior of mormons will eventually seal the deal.

Mormons lie about everything.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 07:41PM

Yeah Baby, Yeah!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.