Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frankiepup ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:03PM

Is it true that if you are a member of the LDS church and you go to BYU and you quit the church or get excommunicated, they can deny you permission to graduate even if you've done all the coursework for graduation? Because if I'd spent four years and a crapload of money at that school and they pulled my diploma just because I quit the church, I'd be...really difficult to deal with, if you may forgive a euphemism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KC ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:11PM

They had a WR on their football team 2 years ago, Rod Wilkerson, that went on a mission, returned home and was on scholarship with the team, left the church, joined another church, and was still allowed to attend, graduate, and use his scholarship. BYU requires an endorsement of your clergy every year, not that you are a mormon.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:11PM

Yes it's true.

Technically you would be in violation of the Honor Code and would be unable to register or continue any coursework there permanently. Technically you would be able to transfer to another school and get credit for equivalent coursework, but there are examples of BYU messing with people they do not like.

I would add that IMO the football thing was an exception. I would have a hard time believing they would allow this for the rank and file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 06:12PM by rodolfo.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:19PM

Here's the statement from BYU.

Withdrawn Ecclesiastical Endorsement

A student's endorsement may be withdrawn at any time if the ecclesiastical leader determines that the student is no longer eligible for the endorsement. If an endorsement is withdrawn, no confessional information is exchanged without authorization from the student. Students without a current endorsement are not in good Honor Code standing and must discontinue enrollment. Students who are not in good Honor Code standing are not eligible for graduation, even if they have otherwise completed all necessary coursework. Excommunication, disfellowshipment, or disaffiliation from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints AUTOMATICALLY RESULTS in the withdrawal of the student's ecclesiastical endorsement and the loss of good Honor Code standing.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 06:57PM

There are many this has happened too. the most famous is Chad Hardy he was ex-ed for for the Men on a Mission calendar, and BYU would not let him graduate.

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:28PM

My dad wants me to go to Rick's (BYU) College in Idaho...

Do they even accept out-of-the-closet Atheists?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 11:50PM

Interesting question.

you might have to get some sort of endorsement from Someone.
I think if they denied an atheist admission or registration, there might be some consequence.

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 08:32AM

ugh, don't even. i went there and i hated life. you think provo is a bubble, holy crapola, rexburg is a bubble within a bubble, filled with helium.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 03:12AM

Charles Larson was a HUGE integral part of the evolution of BYU policy on the matter you are asking about, a huge integral part as in BIG TIME VICTIM of BYU abusiveness. He talks about it in this presentation. youll need to watch all the segments to get the entire story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xVN3TrAGg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.