Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 09:30PM

poster dot asked for a reference for the following quote by Spencer W. Kimball concerning the supposed "revelation" on granting "all worthy males" the priesthood:

"I asked the Twelve not to go home when the time came. . . . I offered the final prayer and I told the Lord that if it wasn't right, if He didn't want this change to come in the Church, that I would be true to it all the rest of my life. . . ."

It was quoted in a Church News in 1997. That article says it was originally quoted in the CHURCH NEWS for January 6, 1979. Here is the link to the 1997 CHURCH NEWS article:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/29721/Revelation-of-1978-on-the-priesthood.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dot ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 01:11AM

Thank you! I appreciate you posting the link!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 02:26AM

There is another more complete story of the revelation created out of whole cloth by an apostle/relative/?

I vaguely remember this person describing how adament SWK was that the word "revelation" never be used. In fact, if memory serves me here, SWK said it was a policy change, not doctrinal and this was the reason.

The author of the article was criticizing the story which was embellished with a sunbeams-from-heaven-distant-angels feel to it, which he claimed was completely inaccurate and he was appalled a faithful member would so ignore the specific instructions of the prophet.

Maybe you historians might shed some light on this.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.