Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 12:40PM

According to your TBM associates (and any other sources), what is the most damaging misinformation/disinformation about Mormons and Mormonism being circulated "out there?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 12:46PM

Satanic orgies in the temple... course I never believed it.. there's enough damaging actual truths within mormonisim that you don't have to make stuff up.

Date: November 28, 2010 02:04PM

and handshakes to get them past the heavenly centurions--would actually be LESS credible than the lie! Oh, the irony!

Posted by: doris ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 05:36PM

SweetZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Satanic orgies in the temple... course I never
> believed it.. there's enough damaging actual
> truths within mormonisim that you don't have to
> make stuff up.
the bok of abraham when i pointed out to someone that this is a lie i was told the because it wasnt what was written on the papaus didnt mean that what js had written wasnt true stewth are they barmy or what real evedence and they still dont see it

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:22PM

doris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SweetZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> the bok of abraham when i pointed out to someone
> that this is a lie i was told the because it wasnt
> what was written on the papaus didnt mean that
> what js had written wasnt true stewth are they
> barmy or what real evedence and they still dont
> see it

That's the new apologetics for those of us who know the real problem and how intractable it is.

Joseph Smith didn't really translate the BOA from any papyrus, they say, he was "inspired" by the papyrus to receive the BOA by pure revelation (Had they only realized this they could have saved the $2400 they spent on the mummies and papyri--About $50,000 in today's dollars).

However if you actually READ what Joseph Smith Claimed Abraham wrote you have at least one glaring anachronism. The name "Egyptus" which the BOA claims is Chaldean meaning that which is forbidden, is really Greek and is the Greek version of the name of the northern capital of Egypt, Memphis. Memphis was then the center of the cult of the Egyptian god Ptah and "home of Ptah" in ancient Egyptian came out kind of like "het-ka-Ptah" The Greeks "Hellenized" it to "Aigyptos" (Just as "Moise" was Hellenized to "Moses" and "Yeshua" was Hellenized to "Jesus") which comes down to us as "Egyptus."

This was a word that was well known in Joseph Smith's time (when things Egyptian were all the rage) but is a word that was totally unknown in Abraham's time.

So the punch line is that:

(1) Joseph was totally wrong about what was on the papyrus.
(2) The document he produced, claiming to have been written by Abraham's own hand could not have been written by Abraham.

Doesn't get much more wrong than that.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 12:58PM

Non Mormons have a hard time keeping polygamy and Mormon sect details straight.

A lot of what floats around is more confusion and misunderstanding than lies I think. People forget which weird religion forbids modern medicine, and whether Mormons still don't allow Black members.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 01:05PM

I agree with Heresy. I think it's more about misconceptions.

I can't think of any really damaging lies about the Church. The most damaging lies come from the Church itself and the information that it withholds from its members and investigators.

But whenever I'd tell someone that I was Mormon, they came at me with one of three things.

1) Am I in a polygamous marriage, 2) do I go around in horses and buggies, and don't use modern conveniences, and 3) why didn't we believe in blood transfusions and Christmas?

I'd always be having to say, "No, that's those other guys. That's not us."

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 01:17PM

That many (most?) non-Mormons know that they are disobeying
Divine commandments -- but choose to do so anyway, in order
to help destroy true religion, and for self-indulgence.

And that most (all?) of the non-Mormon religious leaders know
that they are hireling priests, working for the Devil, to
get gain, by teaching the precepts of men and the vain things
of the world -- thus fighting against the "one true church."

By those calculations, believers in the Mormon religion must
reach into the billions -- but they are demonic, persecuting
"believers," hell-bent on rebelling against "the truth."

BS!

Uncle Dale

Date: November 28, 2010 03:18PM

The Book of Mormon likes to talk about "secret combinations" in the last days taking over and destroying everything good!

I seem to recall some recent Mormon prophets really getting a lot of mileage out of this concept, too!

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:38PM

Greyfort got it spot-on.

most anti-mormon "lies" I heard were either not being up-to-date with current teaching ("So, you can have a couple of wives then?")

or mixing us up with the JW's ("so what's would you do if you really needed a blood transfusion?)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:44PM

They love to whine that they (Mormons) are being persecuted by anti-Mormons spreading their lies.

That's the biggest lie because the most effective anti-Mormon literature is Mormon literature.

Anagrammy

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 06:13PM

The two most evil anti-mormon lies ever-
1. That there were blood oaths (bowels and throat) in the temple prior to 1990.
2. That Joseph Smith used a seerstone to translate the Book of Mormon.

Nobody but Satan himself could concoct such a horrible lie...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 06:39PM

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 07:06PM

My favorite was the "Mormons have horns" myth. I thought I was too young to ever come up against that one, but I actually met a very "special" woman in a bar in NYC who asked me about mine, "do you still have them?", no, "do you have scars?".

Funny thing is, I have a birthmark on the side of my head (almost exactly where Damien's 666 was located) where hair doesn't grow. I really freaked her out when I lifted my hair to show my "scar".

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:38PM

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:53PM

Growing up in the South, I had friends and classmates ask me if I had horns. They also asked why we sacrificed animals and babies in the temples. And of course they wanted to know if my dad had lots of wives.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:15PM

Joseph Smith married other men's wives. Oh wait that one was true. Hmmm I guess I've never heard an anti mormon lie.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:20PM

Mormons and Scientologists believe the same doctrine.

I used to poo-poo that misconception. Then I read Anagrammy's post about mormon cosmology and realized that a lot of the difference between mormonism and scientology is a matter of vocabulary, not substance.

Posted by: imgivingup ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:36PM

Thinking hard on this one, but it seems that every "anti-Mormon lie" I've heard turned out to be a fact.

I guess facts have a definite anti-Mormon bias.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:59PM

I think your question is sort of faulty. Mormons claim that there are "anti-Mormon lies" out there, but (other than the Mopologists) they don't really know what they are because they are too scared to read anti-Mormon stuff. Other than the idea that Mormons still practice polygamy, I can't really think of anything that a Mormon would claim is an anti-Mormon lie.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 09:12PM

The person who asks the temple goers to put on the aprons is Lucifer right after he tells them that the apron represents the power of his priesthoods. So the people are taking on the power of Lucifer when those aprons go on. There is no place later in the temple ritual where this is debunked....sorry folks face it, it is a Satanic ritual. Some will say it is not a Satanic ritual, but what is it then?
The biggest lie I have EVER heard is that the LDS church is true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 09:25PM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 09:30PM

Sorry again folks but Mormons DO STILL PRACTICE POLYGAMY. They just wait until the after life to do it openly. It is STILL part of the real church doctrine. So that is not a lie either. I think the horns came up because of the Lucifer apron temple thing mentioned in my earlier blog. Some people believe that Lucifer has horns.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 09:56PM

I agree with you on the polygamy. That is still very much a part of church doctrine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 09:58PM by goldenrule.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:41PM

if temple marriages are consummated in the temple. The people asking seem disappointed and/or don't believe me when I say no.

Now, I have no idea about the early "spiritual wifery" days... maybe someone else can comment on that if applicable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.