Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:14AM

If this has already been posted my apologies, I scanned over and didn't see it.

MTC administrative director Richard Heaton clearly states that he feels the new 9-story MTC Building is the "most economical" use of tithing funds..

"This has gone up and down the line from the MTC to the missionary department staff to the missionary executive council to the Council of the Twelve and the First Presidency more than once," Heaton said. "It is the most economical use of tithing funds."

Full Article: http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/lds-church-neighbors-clash-over-proposed--story-building/article_f7d324fb-466e-5319-9a1d-fd226f37ef4e.html

So now we can all ask our TBM neighbors- If tithing is good enough to build a 9-story MTC building why isn't it good enough to build a mall? Or is it just that those "real estate" revenus ran dry at 5 billion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:18AM

Yeah, but if anything should be paid for with tithing funds, it would be buildings like this.

This would be an appropriate use of mites.

Not a hotel, shopping center or the like.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:32AM

How about spending that titing money on social services for say wards in developing countries to better their their lives?

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:48AM

i could condone tithing to go to a structure like this, like levi stated, not some secular nonsense like a mall.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:52AM

They have always claimed church buildings and maintenance is paid for by tithing.

But of course they get their toilets cleaned for free now :)

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 10:04AM

I dont support the way they use tithing, but This is not a surprise......... Even as a TBM, I would *assume* they would use tithing for a new MTC

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:01AM

It's the perfect use for tithing money.

Big MTC built with tithing.
Better trained sales reps, er, missionaries.
More downline recruits, er, converts.
More tithing.

Posted by: Bryan O'Neil ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:11AM

"This has gone up and down the line from the MTC to the missionary department staff to the missionary executive council to the Council of the Twelve and the First Presidency more than once," Heaton said. "It is the most economical use of tithing funds."

Where was Jesus in the line? Why didn't Monson go to the temple, put on the apron and bakers cap, and talk face to face with Jesus and say "Hey Christer, we are thinking about building a 9 story Monson Monstrosity in a residential area in Provo. Whadaya think?"

And Jesus will say "Behold, if the building is not a money making venture ye are not mine. Even so, amen"

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 12:44PM

What is wrong with the current? Its not like missionary numbers have skyrocketed.

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 03:09PM

have you been in one of those buildings lately? holy crap, they suck. almost as bad as the CoB. almost.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 03:00PM

It's all Smoke and Screen's. Appearance is everything. Might as well go to Vegas.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 03:47PM

Actually this is the type of expenditure I would think tithing SHOULD go to (instead of malls, hunting grounds, hotels, etc). How else is the MTC going to be built?

However, I think it is a waste of money since they already have a MTC. What are they going to do with the old MTC?

LDS Inc has so much money coming out of its a$$ they don't know what to do with it (too bad they don't like using it for charitable causes), so they go and build great & spacious temples and monuments to themselves and a few years later do "renovations."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.