Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 06:50PM

I was curious if the Mormon Church played any games with any of you to keep you from resigning or delaying the process?

After I sent in my first written resignation, they tried a few tactics to get me to "come in and talk about it" saying they couldn't process my resignation until I do. It took another more serious letter of resignation, a stern written warning to the local bishop to stop playing with me, and a mild threat of legal action to get them to finally acknowledge my resignation and to send me a paper stating that they really did remove me as a member.

I remember someone telling me once that only cults make it this difficult to leave. Is that true? I haven't really thought about the Mormon Church being a cult--just a very different religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 07:06PM

The mormon church once had Danites who killed those who tried to leave. Now they play the games you mentioned like lying and saying they MUST talk to you or you can't leave.

They also try impose a waiting period and sometimes they simply ignore a resignation request in hopes the person will change their mind or be too timid to insist.

When I left, the bish sent a letter expressing his extreme disappointment and saying I'd lose God's blessings if I didn't reconsider. He said he wanted to talk to me about how to repent and return to church. This guy was a total stranger and I hadn't attended any mormon church in over 20 years! Still, these guys like to needle anyone who doesn't want to be in their church.

It's all about keeping their sense of superiority and building up their organization.

They obviously care nothing about me, you, or most people as individuals.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 08:30PM

Cheryl, I too got the runaround when I resigned, and I hadn't been to church for decades. Never to the local ward at all.

I once read an article about religion that said: Any church you can't walk into or out of without contractual responsibilities is a cult. Beware!

Date: March 23, 2012 09:12PM

Date: March 24, 2012 04:13AM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 04:23AM

two calls to SLC, one unannounced visit from the bishop and a letter to the editor of the SL Tribune. After my letter to the editor appeared, I had my official notice from the Members office stating I was no longer a member within a week.

I resigned in 2000, and at that time, the church was still giving members the run around.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.