Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 07:23PM

As a YW I went with a group of other YW to Salt Lake City (Lived in Idaho at the time) for June conference. We stayed at an older but nice hotel on South Temple, if memory serves. We went to the dance festival and some other things. I felt so grown up to be walking down the busy sidewalks of downtown Salt Lake, eating at Lamb's cafe and being in the tabernacle for those special events. It was all about mutual and the youth.

When and why were these conferences discontinued?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:24PM

but when I was in mutual, the bishop of the ward would take all the kids above age 14 to SLC over spring break and stay 2 nights in Hotel Utah. Of course, we did the usual temple square, etc., but he also took us to MOVIES--one was "The Poseidon Adventure" and the other was I believe the name is "Let's Do It Again" with Bill Cosby. Definitely not your typical mormon approved movies!

He was quite the TBM, too.

The fun stuff is long gone. Can you imagine a bishop doing something like this now?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 12:21AM

One year when I was in high school, my mom drove a carload of me and my friends from California to Utah for June Conference. It was a ton-o-fun. We got tickets to the huge dance festival, the all-church finals of the road shows, and I can't remember what all else. That was back in the day when the church sponsored things that were just for fellowship and fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.