Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 08:04PM

I'm curious. If an angel came to me and told me to dig up some old book and translate it and then took it away.

I'd be sitting with a manuscript wondering what to do with it?

I know old Joe started "getting" lots of revelations after the point he was holding a bunch of papers in his hand.

I'd thought I'd read a lot of Mormon history but I can't remember if Joe ever had an encounter with a "heavenly being" that told him what to do with his "translation."

Did he? The angel was specific about the place, time and all sort of stuff when the gold was in the ground or in diverse places like a barrel beans, but what happened after the gold was gone? Did some messenger come back to tell him what to do with the translation? I think Joe just cut out the middle men angels at that point and didn't have heavenly conferences with specific instructions anymore?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 08:24PM

http://www.i4m.com/think/history/sell_BOM_copyright.htm

"Joseph looked into the hat in which he placed the stone, and received a revelation that some of the brethren should go to Toronto, Canada, and that they would sell the copyright of the Book of Mormon. Hiram Page and Oliver Cowdery went to Toronto on this mission, but they failed entirely to sell the copyright, returning without any money. Joseph was at my father's house when they returned. I was there also, and am an eye witness to these facts. Jacob Whitmer and John Whitmer were also present when Hiram Page and Oliver Cowdery returned from Canada."

Posted by: nonldsmichigander ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 11:20PM

@ Elder Berry,
The gold plates were returned back to the angel Moroni. However, these same plates will be returned some day in the future and given only to The Choice Seer, the full-blooded American Indian Moses. He is going to translate the 2/3 sealed portion of the BOM plates.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 01:59AM

From "An Address to all Believers in Christ," by David Whitmer, one of the "Three Witnesses:"

"When the Book of Mormon was in the hands of the printer, more money was needed to finish the printing of it. We were waiting on Martin Harris who was doing his best to sell a part of his farm, in order to raise, the necessary funds. After a time Hyrum Smith and others began to get impatient, thinking that Martin Harris was too slow and under transgression for not selling his land at once, even if at a great sacrifice. Brother Hyrum thought they should not wait any longer on Martin Harris, and that the money should be raised in some other way. Brother Hyrum was vexed with Brother Martin, and thought they should get the money by some means outside of him, and not let him have anything to do with the publication of the Book, or receiving any of the profit thereof if any profits should accrue. He was wrong in thus judging Bro. Martin, because he was doing all he could toward selling his land. Brother Hyrum said it had been suggested to him that some of the brethren might go to Toronto, Canada, and sell the copy-right of the Book of Mormon for considerable money: and he persuaded Joseph to inquire of the Lord about it. Joseph concluded to do so. He had not yet given up the stone. Joseph looked into the hat in which he placed the stone, and received a revelation that some of the brethren should go to Toronto, Canada, and that they would sell the copy-right of the Book of Mormon. Hiram page and Oliver Cowdery went to Toronto on this mission, but they failed entirely to sell the copy-right, returning without any money. Joseph was at my father's' house when they returned. I was there also, and am an eye witness to these facts. Jacob Whitmer and John Whitmer were also present when Hiram Page and Oliver Cowdery returned from Canada. Well, we were all in 'great trouble; and we asked Joseph how it was that he had received a revelation from the Lord for some brethren to go to Toronto and sell the copy-right, and the brethren had utterly failed in their undertaking. Joseph did not know how it was, so he enquired of the Lord about it, and behold the following revelation came through the stone: 'Some revelations are of God: some revelations are of man: and some revelations are of the devil.' So we see that the revelation to go to Toronto and sell the copy-right was not of God, but was of the devil or of the heart of man."

http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA31&dq=%22Some+revelations+are+of+God:+some+revelations+are+of+man:+and+some+revelations+are+of+the+devil.%22&ei=WbJuT5S9B6SciQL_7Jm8BQ&id=wVU3AAAAMAAJ#v=onepage&q=%22Some%20revelations%20are%20of%20God%3A%20some%20revelations%20are%20of%20man%3A%20and%20some%20revelations%20are%20of%20the%20devil.%22&f=false

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 06:01AM

I wonder why they never received a revelation saying the Smiths needed to sell some of their land?

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 06:12AM

>Joseph did not know how it was, so he enquired of the Lord about it, and behold the following revelation came through the stone: 'Some revelations are of God: some revelations are of man: and some revelations are of the devil.'

So we see that the revelation to go to Toronto and sell the copy-right was not of God, but was of the devil or of the heart of man.<

You have got to hand it to JS, Jr., he had an answer for everything and every occassion! Isn't the word for that glib?

If JS, Jr. could not tell the difference in WHO the revelation was from, then does that not put all of his revelations in question?

Just pointing that out, as we all know every word out of his mouth about all things Mormon was a lie.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 07:25AM

rowan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You have got to hand it to JS, Jr., he had an
> answer for everything and every occassion! Isn't
> the word for that glib?

there is always a MORmON explanation for MORmON antics!

the word for that is bull shit and joe was full of it.

I dont know about handing "it" to Joe Smith
but it would have been really funny if the POS had gotten the laban treatment, as recorded in his POS BOM!

Date: March 26, 2012 07:58AM

"Some revelations are of God: some revelations are of man: and some revelations are of the devil."

Is any of this canonized? Do lay members accept this excuse as something that they can use now?

Oh, The Mall was from the Devil, The Hoffman stuff was from the Devil, etc. BUT look at all the revelations from God? Like mini-temples, polygamy, Lamanites are really Israelites etc.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 07:08AM

Joseph Smith was simply establishing on that day one of the pillars of Mormon Doctrine: plausible deniability

Anagrammy

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:47PM

They call those relevations that are of man and revelations that are of the devil "folklore" in todays LDSinc. church.

Blacks can't have the priesthood? false revelation? folklore?

What in the world do the members think the church actually does believe in?

Date: March 26, 2012 06:33PM

upsidedown Wrote:
> What in the world do the members think the church
> actually does believe in?

I would love to know. How much of their archaic bs is irrelevant without revelation.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 06:51PM

When the Kirtland bank was failing, JS reveived a revelation to go to Salem, Massachusetts where he was promised he would find treasure to dig up.

Again, we can see the connection to the Occult and JS's delusional thought processes.

Predictably, he came up empty handed.Look it up in the Doctrine & Covenants

Date: March 26, 2012 07:15PM

Leah Wrote:
> Predictably, he came up empty handed.Look it up in
> the Doctrine & Covenants

I have read it many times. The Book of Mormon is what always got me. Anything about it should have been "most correct" with revelations and such.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.