Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 08:42PM

An interesting article from the BBC. I had never heard of Park!

"Mitt Romney, the front runner in the race for the Republican Presidential nomination for the White House, is a devout Mormon, but his cousin, Park Romney, also in the past a committed member of the church, now denounces it as a cult."

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17487873

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 08:59PM

whatever that is. He looks like the Winklevii.

Posted by: eskimogirlfriend ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 09:30PM

Good article -- thanks for posting. Wish I could post to my FB...

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 09:55PM

All Mit Romney needs now, is some polygamist cousins or polygamist neighbors. that he has had contact with in the past ten years (with photo or video proof). and we have a double whammy combo of Billy Carter, and Roger Clinton.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 10:33PM

"The Mormon Church maintains that it does a great deal of good. Its leaders say they have given more than $1bn in aid around the world since 1985."

So divide 1 billion by 27 years and you get about 37 million per year.

If we let them have 14 million members, be they dead, resigned or pets names, and divide the annual donations to charity by members you get about $2.65 per member per year.

If you half the membership to 7 million in case they stop inflating their numbers for a change so it looks better as donations go, you get about $5.29 US dollars per member per year to charity.

That's less than $5 Australian dollars and around 3.33 British pounds.

That's a minor advertising budget for the cult - pathetic.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 11:10PM

Good for Park Romney. I admire the man for standing up and going public, especially after being so steeped in it for so long. Another blow to the cojcolds -- this is an historic time for the LDS -- they've never had to defend themselves to this degree.

Posted by: ss ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:06AM

Birthers want proof that Mitt Romney was born in America http://now.msn.com/now/0322-romney-vs-birthers.aspx

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:38AM

"He led Sunday services, ran Bible classes for children and looked after a 4,000-strong congregation in Boston for five years in the 1980s."

I have never in my entire life even seen a 4,000 strong congregation. I doubt if it exists in Boston, or anywhere else, for that matter. Also, I have never heard of a bishop running Bible classes for children, I'm not sure what they are talking about.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 06:11PM

Gotta make it understandable for the mainstream masses. Bible classes for children = primary. 4,000 member congregation = stake. However, the readership at large wouldn't understand those terms.

Posted by: AZEXMO ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:39AM

WOW! The first thing that strikes me is the resemblance between the two of them!

Great article!

Posted by: AZEXMO ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:43AM

"The Mormon Church maintains that it does a great deal of good. Its leaders say they have given more than $1bn in aid around the world since 1985."

Not to mention that $5bn shopping center.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:05AM

The article quotes Mitt's cousin Park Romney:

"'There's compelling evidence that the Mormon Church leaders knowingly and wilfully misrepresent the historical truth of their origins and of the Church for the purpose of deceiving their members into a state of mind that renders them exploitable,' says Park."

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:12AM

I wish the story had a bit more depth, or a few links. It only really mentions the Book of Abraham issue.

Not that that is trivial!

What is up with the family resemblance?

They could be twins even though Park is 10 years younger. Is Mitt really 65?

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:29AM

It looks like the inside of the starship Enterprise. It screams, "WE ARE A WEIRD CULT. NOW LET'S HIE TO KOOOOLOB".

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:37AM

1. Why dont they discuss the misogynistic way women are treated,just look at a conference photo. Men made the rules, exploited our natural inclination to nurture and raked in the cash.

2. The fertility ideology of the past which by brainwashing forced women into large large families, quote "because spirits in the pre-existence are waiting for physical bodies and you must supply them. God expects you to do your duty". Baby fodder that is how we were seen.

3. Ask Romney if while serving as a leader did he ask explicit sexual questions which the church required him to ask. It was filthy and totally inappropriate and the door was tightly closed. Extremely exploitative of younger women and a major sexual fantasy for older men. They loved it!!

Listen after a lifetime in, I could go on and on about the reality behind the veil. I really disliked Holland's casual comment "we dont want them if they think we are a cult". That explains why they never called, I knew too much and they did not want the truth revealed. Ex-mormons are definitely the most dangerous to the cult, particularly if they saw all the mental torture and I do mean that, we were put through.

What do you think was worse the physical prohibitions or the mental manipulation? And his rubbish about the church members not shunning. I have lost every friend and half my family. We should do a joint statement what do you long time exmos think?

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 06:08PM

Sorry about my aggressive rant. I seemed to see red after Hollands lies about shunnninh. Please tell me your stories? Was it as bad for you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.