Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 06:01AM

Continuing the thread on the talk for young women,
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53785617-78/girls-monson-women-believe.html.csp

does anyone else find "believe, obey and endure" depressing? Do you think Monson has stock in anti-depressants?

I don't have children. Is this talk really inspiring for girls? Is the church still teaching they are only 1/2 a person without a man? Very sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 06:33AM

Is this much different from Pay, Pray and Obey? Why would anything change?

In other words, stop thinking and just do as you are told.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 08:47AM

This life is just a test to endure.... trust us it will be so worth blowing through this life as if it doesn't matter.

Yep that's depressing.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 10:50AM

If he had said: study, think and enjoy - well, that wouldn't have made it through correlation, would it?

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 10:54AM

Are you suggesting that the Church believes that women are worth 0.5 points now, up from 0?

That's a surprise!

Steve

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:22PM

That mantra will run a ton of kids right out the front door. If i would have said that to my ADD teenagers they would have either gotten suicidal depressed, or went stir crazy.
Thats the kind of thing you might get away with saying to a nursing home crowd, but not teenagers.
They are going to grow up with a nervous tic every time someone uses the words obey and endure. Dreary, depressing, filled with hopelessness.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:28PM

but, TSM gets some pats on the back for being (X) with them from his buddies.

Nobody bothers to read the implications of what they say, It's 'better' that way.

Maybe he should have invited Randy Bott.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:34PM

Can be depressing. Yes. But, it's pretty much the same pattern from all religions. They require beliefs, obedience, and endurance. Nothing new there!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 01:47PM

Like they say, put up or shut up. Back it up with actual fact, or desist.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 02:41PM

Very few religions exert the sort of control Mormonism does. Most offer hope and comfort rather than demand endurance and obedience. Endurance and obedience might help you survive a concentration camp but it's out of place in a religion.

Other churches may say that if you live their rules, you will be happier but they don't teach "put up and shut up" to their children. Well, most others don't. It's all a matter of degrees. What may be taught in other churches at a one or two percent degree is taught in Mormonism at a 100 percent degree. That's what makes it so heinous - not the suggestion of obedience brings happiness but the DEMAND for obedience or else you are out of heaven forever. Degrees.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:53PM

In my experience, you can't make any progress unless you are willing to break the rules. And I don't mean go out and commit a crime or "sin" per se, I mean do something in a way no one has ever tried before. You have to fight and struggle to find your own happiness. The powers that be don't want you to rock the boat. They want you to support the existing power structure, which incidently, benefits them.

"Believe, obey and endure" is an argument for maintaining the status quo, and I can't believe young educated mormon women are going to be satisfied siting quietly in relief society meeting waiting for something to happen.

Posted by: womanoftheworld ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 02:06PM

I love it when they say "enjoy" rather than "endure". That's even more depressing!

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 02:34PM

I was never more depressed in my life than in the last couple of years in tscc- I was merely enduring, not living, and the hell with that. Glad I am gone!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 02:47PM

I say:

Love Laugh Learn.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:17PM

To ENDURE. "Please God, just let me endure to the end. Then I know you'll make the next life as wonderful as this one is shitty."

My philosophy after resigning 11 years ago was to ENJOY to the end. Life ain't always a bowl of cherries, but the average day now compared to the average day in my former life is heaven vs. hell.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:57PM

ENDURE - Pick the least crappy thing in your life and call it a blessing.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:21PM

Satan is trying to get you in your teen years- nothing like the leaders giving the girls something to freak out about! As a teen i used to be worried i would 'make a sin' by mistake or in a weak moment and that would be it. I'd be in satan's power and be uneligable for the celestial kingdom. Nice to think that every day was another day to 'prove' to god that you can handle yourself against that satan guy, who has all the cards stacked in his favour.

nothing like that to up the angst and anxiety teens feel and to deminish any feelings or ideas that the world might be fun, interesting and i might do some good in it.

hmm, my son quit church in his late teens. i wonder if this kind of teaching is affecting his ability to see himself as a guy with something to offer the world. he seems to think poorly of himself and i don't think that came from me. maybe these kinds of teachings affect the guy s also.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:39PM

Believe: There's no way to prove any of this crap, and there's boatloads of evidence we're lying. Believe, and turn off your brain.

Obey: Don't look! Don't touch! Don't read! Don't surf the Net! Above all, don't think for yourself!

Endure: Yep, we're giving you a big smoking hint that life as an LDS woman will suck big time.

They know teens and twenty-somethings are fleeing in record numbers. This most recent injunction not only doesn't help, it looks pathetic.
This is the best they can come up with?

Posted by: jessie ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 05:17PM

What I have never gotten and understood about the stories that I read in these articles over and over is that they always write about people who say no to drugs, or alcohol or swearing or whatever regardless of what their peers are doing, as if it's them saying NO to temptation and they are listening to the WoW or the prophets lead example.

I have never really gotten into coffee and I don't drink it and when people ask to go out for one I just tell them I'll have a hot choc instead as I dont like coffee. Meh, not a big deal at all, people don't start trying to "tempt" me or peer pressure me into having it.

Why do they feel the need to show that "My peers are doing that BUT I'M NOT, omg that makes me such a good mormon not giving into temptation, I must tell EVERYONE!"

It's not that hard saying no you dont do something in particular, without shoving it down everyones throats, and if they are really that badly tempted to do something just goes to show they have no will power, shouldnt be blamed on the person giving it to them, but no they do and blame it on the devil as well.

Sorry waaaaay off topic but had to point that one out

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 10:40PM

My duaghter did not want to go to the broadcast and I did not make her. I'm glad she made a good choice. :-D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.