Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 11:05AM

I have my kids with me over easter. I'm looking for suggestions from the board on stories and lessons I can give that don't have a religious tone. A story that will evoke strong sense of giving, even if it is an emotional tear jerker.

This is most for my teen daughter, who is seriously feeling the need to go back to being TBM after a bit of doubt in past years. I want her to "feel the spirit" when it has nothing to do with mormonism. Secular accounts preferred.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:28PM

I think of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books

How in Little Town on the Prairie,I believe, she finds out her blind sister used to behave like a lady when they were little just to show off what a good little girl she was. Laura was surprised to find the sister she'd always been compared to as a model of good behavior, was secretly harboring pride.

Mr. Edwards swam the creek to bring the girls Christmas candy in Little House on the Prairie. The book, Not the *&%$# Michael Landon pirated version of the story shown on TV.

Also pick up one of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books by Jack Canfield.

The Success Principles by Jack Canfield would be very enlightening for her too. The book is so uplifting and easy to read. It has exercises to help her get in touch with what she really wants to do in her life.

One chapter my sister and I laughed about, but like to use, was on how to tell the mirror goodnight. That is where you stand in front of your mirror and tell your reflection how much you love and appreciated you and thank you for all the good things you've done that day. you must be specific about your accomplishments. It is amazing how hard it is to think positively about yourself, but this book is a great teacher!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.