Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 11:45AM

I haven't gone to church for about 4 months, but I still get emails from the RS, so it was brought to my attention that a recent lesson in there was on JS, and my good friend taught it.

This particular friend is pretty confused and worried about us right now, although our friendship has continued just fine. I know she wonders what we're thinking, and I've even said "Let's talk about it," and she said "Thank goodness, yes, let's do," but still hasn't asked (she's supposed to tell me when a good time to get together is, and hasn't. I think it's pretty awkward for her.)

Anyway, seeing that she was the one that taught this lesson made me want to read it - to know what she just learned and regurgitated to everyone else.

And it's rich. Man, this sh*t makes my blood boil.

http://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-george-albert-smith/chapter-4?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 11:51AM

I don't know what bothers me more: the message that there was one, explicit vision; that Joseph went bravely like a "lamb to the slaughter," and other lies, or belittling of those that don't believe it. Nothing makes me want to throw f-bombs these days more than this Church does.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 11:59AM

Going like a lamb to the slaughter has got to be the worse lie to me. Just show her, or ask her to read the History of the Church showing how Joe killed 2 people in his "going like a lamb to the slaughter." If she can't trust an LDS source like the History of the Church, what can she trust?

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 12:14PM

You'd think if he knew he was going to die that he would have bothered to name a successor and avoid the church going into years of turmoil and splitting several directions. You'd think god would care enough about his church to get around to revealing that little piece of information...

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 10:53PM

"Several years later, while George Albert Smith was serving as President of the Church, some books were published that attempted to defame Joseph Smith."

This part refers to "No Man Knows My History" ... first published in 1945.

I wonder what Georgie boy would say about Bushman and company.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 11:02PM

Are these people on drugs? Seriously?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 11:23PM

This is the moving of history into mythology.

The idea that Joseph Smith restored a pure gospel as preached by Jesus Christ is false. The notion that Jesus organized a perfect church is false.

Biblical scholars are mostly united in agreeing that the church and doctrine were created much later, after Jesus' death.

Not that facts matter.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.