Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:23PM

For those who are unaware, the Hare Krishna's built a temple in Salem, UT, which is south of Provo in Utah Valley. In other words, in the heart of Mormon Country.

The attendance has climbed each year, thanks in large part to BYU students participating in the thousands.

We went on Sunday, thinking the crowd might be a bit more manageable, but it was still just extraordinary!

The Holi Festival is also known as the Festival of Colors and is a celebration of the arrival of Spring.

The music was excellent, the food was excellent, the crowd was excellent. I'm definitely doing it again. However, next time I'm taking shop goggles and a painter's mask. :)

Video from this year's festival. Looks more like Bonaroo than a religious festival, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HltruTVcTYE&feature=related

Truly an extraordinary experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:25PM

It sure highlights the stark contrast between mormonism (and what it has to offer especially to the youth) and Hinduism. No wonder the mormons flock to it!

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:28PM

True. There is something positive, though, in seeing thousands of BYU students chanting "Hare Hare! Krishna Krishna! Jai! :)

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 04:37PM

Sounds so fun! Could you imagine the Mormon church doing anything even remotely fun for Mormons, let alone people who don't pay them money in tithing.

Posted by: captainmoroni (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 05:15PM

Most BYU kids love it. But you get a sanctimonious few who call it dangerous apostasy. WTF.

Posted by: Toddymac ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 06:50AM

I was there Sunday also, with an interest in photographing the event. I hadn't been before and found it awesomely surreal. Great music and amazing vibe! I captured some great shots that you can check out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddymac/sets/72157629676329963/detail/

I think it's so popular here actually BECAUSE of BYU and the local Mormon influence. It gives these poor pent-up minded kids a chance to just really cut loose and experience the natural high of true commradarie with a touch of pseudo hedonism.. HA!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.