Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:28PM

Elders,

Quick reminder that we are having a Gaming activity tonight at the Church at 7:00 p.m.!

We'll play some games...eat some food....it will be a great time.

See you there!

Best,

First Name of 1st Councilor in Elder's Quorum Presidency (removed his name)

---------------------------------------------

Brian -

I was told recently that you would rather not participate in most of the Church Activities. If you don't mind - I would like to continue to invite you to our EQ activities (such as our video game night tonight.)

It would still be fun to hang out.

1st Councilor in EQ Presidency

------------------------------------------------

1st Councilor in EQ Presidency,

You got bad information – sort of. Here’s the deal.

I resigned from the church in December. My confirmation letter that my membership had been removed came in January.

In so doing I never requested no contact from the church. Home teachers are welcome in my home. Anyone who wants to come by is welcome in my home.

I’m happy to talk in any level of detail about why to anyone who wants to know. I’m not going to push it on anyone. I suspect very few will want to discuss any of this with me. It’s a lot easier not to deal with it. I’m happy with the decision I’ve made, but it has not been an easy one. There is essentially no one that I am close to that thinks that I’m not crazy and/or a sinner. I don’t wish to push anyone down that difficult path.

I appreciate the invitations actually and I was planning to come tonight. I figure at the very least I’m a missionary opportunity as a non-mormon. At the most I’m still a member of the neighborhood, and a friend and I know these things have always been intended to be inclusive to the neighborhood. So yes, please continue to invite me. I certainly would never make an inappropriate scene at such an event.

As an aside I actually didn’t believe it before I was called as Elder’s Quorum President but since my wife was included in my being extended the calling and I wasn’t ready to deal with the impact on my marriage I didn’t have much choice but to accept. Since I accepted I tried to do my best to fulfill my obligations I had committed to but it was pretty hard to be motivated a lot of the time.

I’m not particularly concerned with who knows what or how quickly so you are more than welcome to share any of this information with whoever you want as you see fit.

Thanks for checking and for the friendship,
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:51PM

Any response yet?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:56PM

That was good answer. You would have been much easier to dimiss as an "anti-mormon" if you had responded irrationally.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:17PM

Are you in washington?

The Eastside/Bothell area is the only time I've had EQ activities involving video games... they were a lot of fun.

Date: March 27, 2012 04:21PM

Pleasant Grove, UT

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 02:12AM

I lived there for 11 years. All of the 90's.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 12:10PM

I went to the mormon elementary school there. Is it still open?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:27PM

A non "anti-Mormon" ex-Mormon is surely quite rare. Most wouldn't have the patience.

Date: March 27, 2012 04:33PM

Oh I'm plenty anti-Mormon. I'm itching to get in some discussions over it. But living in Utah Valley I have to move forward with life. I certainly have no need to hold a personal grudge with people. I suppose you could say I "hate the church not the church member" or "hate the cult not the cultist". I certainly have no fear that any of them have any power or sway over me so it's easy to feel non-threatened and cordial.

I am serious though about the idea that I wouldn't want to push someone into changing/reconsidering if they aren't ready for it. It's a tough transition especially in Utah Valley where the social consequences are bigger.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.