Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:54PM

Sweeney asks some missionaries in training, "What criticisms would you make of your church."

It's an excellent question! A more honest tbm might have been able to think of something, but I guess missionaries are hopped up on too much of a spiritual high to think outside the box.

(Also, I think they might have been able to answer better if their peers were not monitoring them).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 09:04PM by archytas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 09:33PM

An excellent question indeed!

Even in the MTC I would have had criticisms against the church, specifically relating to cultural dynamics. I DID actually vocalize my objections to the high-pressure sales tactics of missionary work, the quotas and time limits of calls in the MTC call center, and the focus on strict adherence to the rules in the white bible and memorized "discussions." In the mission field I was pretty open with investigators, less-actives and other missionaries regarding my grievances with the way the mission was being run.

I wonder if the missionaries were instructed beforehand to refrain from speaking negatively about the church. I'm sure that the particular class the interviewer spoke with was chosen carefully. I felt really badly for the one young man who had to pretend that he had never been tempted to break the law of chastity; it almost seems ridiculous to think that I was just like him in this regard.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 10:02PM

"I felt really badly for the one young man who had to pretend that he had never been tempted to break the law of chastity;"

Yeah this guy said he wanted to stay "morally pure"....until he got married.

I was thinking..."and then what?"

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 10:53PM

Yeah he was pretty awkward, poor little guy.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:19PM

I'll never forget how Raptor Jesus filled out his forms at the MTC and gave constructive criticism on the intake procedures and the experience to that point.

His companion turned him in for evil-speaking against the Lord's anointed and he was brought up on charges for it.

Nut jobs.

Anagrammy

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:20PM

This is an excellent documentary. They hit on many of the key problems with Mormonism, but there is so much more they could have exposed, such as Joseph Smith's polygamy and problems with the BoM. Time for a sequel? Of course the focus was mostly on Mitt -- well done BBC!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 12:12AM

canadianfriend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is an excellent documentary. They hit on many
> of the key problems with Mormonism, but there is
> so much more they could have exposed, such as
> Joseph Smith's polygamy and problems with the BoM.
> Time for a sequel? Of course the focus was mostly
> on Mitt -- well done BBC!

Plenty of time for BoM and polyandry! I think the Book of Abraham segment was punchy and Holland's response pathetic. Great seeing the papryus figures that Smith butchered.

One problem may be that after this none of the apostles will do interviews with the BBC or any serious journalist.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 01:19AM

Holland says "what got translated, got translated into the word of God. The vehicle for that.. I do not understand and don't claim to know, and know no Egyptian."

Jeffrey...it's not that complicated. Joseph Smith lied. It could not be more clear -- he made up the Book of Abraham.

Q - As a matter of historical fact was Joseph Smith convicted of being a con-man in 1826?

Holland: "I have no idea."

Jeffrey, are you lying, or do you really not know the history of the church? Because either way, you should not be sitting at that desk discussing Mormonism if you are a liar, or completely ignorant.

He suddenly seems to know about it when he says "that's an incidental matter to the character and integrity of the man."

Jeffrey, do you know ANYTHING about Joseph Smith? Character and integrity?

This is classic. Holland just affirmed that Mormons will not hesitate to lie, and are completely out of touch with REALITY.

What a fine representative of the church.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 12:16AM

I think only an ex-Mormon or someone who really knows the Mormon church could really appreciate what that question means. Of course they had no criticism of their church. Criticism? As in critical thinking? But why? The Church is perfect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.