Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 08:56PM

I've got a spring in my step today, remembering all of the crap I don't have to do anymore because I'm not a cult member! What a great day! Sometimes it just hits me how great life is without it!

And there was much rejoicing in the land. Yea, much rejoicing indeed.

Also, remember all of the wasted time spent reading the bom? Just think what you could do with all of that now. If current members only knew what an absolute waste of time the made up stories are. Entire lives spent spinning meaning into joseph's joke. Same for the temple--Oh i just get so much out of it every. single. time. I . go. Seriously?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OdeNOM ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:43PM

I don't know who the guy is, but the same story was told in conference at the same time Elder Cook was on his mission. The accounts look really similar, they have to be talking about the same guy.

N. Eldon Tanner Conference Report, April 1962, p. 53 wrote:

"I could give you many experiences, personal and otherwise, but I should like to relate briefly the experience of a very talented and educated young Oxford graduate who is an Egyptian by birth. He studied and practised law in Cairo; he has taught law in the law schools of Luxembourg, he speaks six different languages including Arabic, Hebraic Italian, French, German, and English and teaches now in the London University. When he first read the Book of Mormon, he was greatly impressed by the style in which it was written. He noted that it, like the Semitic language so often had sentences begin with the conjunction "behold" and with the phrase "and it came to pass." He was also impressed by the fact that names used throughout the book were names which occur so often in the Semitic language. He knew that an uneducated youth could not have translated or written this book. He noted, too, that Joseph Smith took no credit for its authorship but claimed that it was translated by the power of God. He accepted Joseph Smith's claim without doubt as he knew that this was the only way the book could have been written."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.