Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ortful Porpse ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 03:44PM

This issue is not going away, and the Church is going to have to make a solid stand one way or another.

Right now they are clearly still entrenched in their traditional "homosexuality is a sin" mode, but there have also been some movements in the other direction.

I wonder if they realize they are going to HAVE to change this view to remain relevant. Imagine how marginalized they would be if they still refused the priesthood to blacks. This is shaping up to be just as powerful an issue.

But, I just can't see how they will reverse such a strong stance. They would lose credibility with their membership very quickly over this.

The time isn't now, but it's fast approaching, when this issue could be the downfall of the LDS church as we know it. They'll always exist in some form - they're too rich to just fizzle away. But their hand is being forced, and I wonder how long they can hold out before they receive another 'revelation'

How ironic would it be to see the church go down in this manner! I love it.

OP

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 04:04PM

I wonder if they'll ever have another Manifesto Moment, when they realize future survival depends on a "revelation" that the Lord has come down to change the Unchanging Truth®, putting homophobia on hold like he did polygamy.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 06:11PM

There never was a future, only spiritual death. Gays should run, not walk away from the LDS church. Who needs second-class status.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 06:19PM

They probably do regular polls and have determined that homophobes are more likely to pay tithes. It's their target audience.

When that result changes, they'll come around.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 10:44PM

Not too many people actually know or care to know about LDS. It's still "that polygamy" religion. This is why I hope Romney runs in '12. Some questions on prop 8 are bound to come up if he does. *crosses fingers*

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.