Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:56PM

My started going to "the church" about 10 years ago, but lately it is her life. I try and understand that she is being controlled and it is not her fault but its getting so hard. She seems like a whole other person and she is so being so critical. I love her but i don't even want to take my kids to her house anymore. What should i do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:07PM

Have you sat her down and literally said to her what you just said to us?

I would say, "I miss you and I want my Mama back."

When she asks, "What do you mean?" you could just be honest and tell her that you just want her to be Mom, and not judge and criticize. You might even mention that it makes you not want to be around her.

Not in a harsh way, but just say it gently. Maybe she'll hear the message. I'm sure that's not what her intention has been.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:15PM

I think that the first thing you need to do is realize that it is your Moms fault that she is being controlled. She does not have to go to the mormon church. She does not have to let them brainwash her. It is a choice. You have to tell her how you feel and hope she understands. Maybe others on this site can help you more. There are some bright people here. Jim

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:22PM

brothers, and I as children. My dad helped too. In between times of inactivity I only returned, because of crises. There is a reason they are able to manipulate her, and/or a reason she thinks they have answers to help her. If you knew what those were maybe you could help her find real solutions to her problems or needs. TSCC will take her time, talents, money, her life, etc. They take, and they do not give back, but the sheeple think they are getting something extremely valuable in return.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 10:25PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:11PM

Your mom sounds like mine. I feel ya.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:19PM

I remember my MIL when she still had spunk and brain cells. It's sad when the brain gets washed clean. She isn't as fun as she was before. So I know what you mean.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:57PM

I would have the honest talk with your mom. I really like Greyfort's approach. If you speak sincerely from the heart, she would have to be touched. It may do some good, it may not, but doing nothing will almost certainly leave you where you are now and it probably will get worse.

I was born BIC. When we were kids, my parents were a lot of fun. The older we got, the more religious they got and the needle on the fun meter plummeted. When my father became Bishop, that pretty much sealed the deal--we were now going to be polite and boring and expected to set an example.

Me setting an example for anyone is a pretty ridiculous thought, believe me.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:18PM

thank you for all your advice, it is so nice just to be understood. i have tried to talk to her from the heart and she talks to me and i feel like she understands but then she just bounces back. after my dad died i begged her in tears to please not make my dad "sealed" to her but she did anyway. my dad and my mom were seperated at the time of his death. Why? because he hated the mormon church. any way she went ahead with it and told me the day before christmas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.