Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:04PM

Here is a quote from Romney:

"And I believe he (God) used the process of evolution to create the human body.” Mitt Romney

Here's the link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/23/jon-huntsman-mitt-romney-s-pro-science-stand-as-mormon-2012-gop-candidates.html

Of course, this IS Mitt Romney we're talking about so he may have changed his mind 30 times since then.

But I can't help but think, with the Church coming out of left field and making such a bold anti-evolution stance, that maybe the Church is giving Romney "an out", so to speak, where he can say that he, in fact, DOES disagree with the Church from time-to-time.

Does anyone else see this anti-evolution talk as really kind of odd? (nd not just because it's bs).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:06PM

Mitt Romney: Dogma-Buster, par excellant!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:37AM

They might be trying to help him pander to the Santoram crowd. By taking a hardline creationist view, they make Romney more tolerable to the Evangelical nut jobs on the far Republic right, while still leaving him room to skirt around the topic.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:06AM

I think there can be no other motivation than the obvious political one: the mormon church rebooting the Romney image with some new 'accents'.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:17AM

Mitt won't say it because it is bad for political positioning to come out and say he is a far right wing republican. So the church will take the position (this year anyway). That way Romney gets the lunitic far right wingers and keeps the middle ground at the same time. Good strategy.

I hope he wins......so we can listen to reporters dig into the history and doctrine for 4 years instead of only 8 months. The church would loose so many members during that 4 years.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:10AM

I hope he wins, turns out to be a good president, despite his Mormon handicap, apostatizes, then gets reelected, all the while the church is treated to eight years of being under the microscope.

In all seriousness, I don't see someone spending four years, basically removed from the church, as staying strong to the faith. A president might, then again, not exactly have the time to do the research, but he wouldn't have the constant reminders and stalking. How do you harass a sitting US president into activity?

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:50AM

I don't know what they're trying to do, but I can say that if I were still a tbm, I would have suffered some alienation and cog dis from nelson.

I was interested in science even as a tbm.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:03AM

So, if he wins will they have to build a ward house at Camp David?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:36PM

The Church is not coming out with a new "anti-evolution stance." The Church doesn't come out with stances. The Church makes namby-pamby conference talks that can be taken in different ways. If there's one thing the Church has learned over the years, its plausible deniability.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.