Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:03AM

This is a link to a Christian counseling website that discusses the "Rules of a Harmful Faith System." I'm not a Christian myself, but what the site has to say is excellent and very applicable to the Mormon Church.

http://www.christiancounselling.on.ca/articles_spiritual_abuse_rules_&_characteristics.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:51PM

From the link:

4. Delusion : Never point out the reality of a situation. They don’t want to know how things are, but rather how they should be. Everyone works together to create the illusion that it’s the way it should be. To talk of reality is to commit organizational suicide. A messenger with bad news is often identified as the source of the problem. If someone has to break the bad news, they have to figure out how to best present the facts. The leader refuses to acknowledge that it is almost impossible to inform him, without being punished for it.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:10PM

Thanks for the link. Very interesting indeed. The last line said something like 'the abuse {by those in} stops when the dissenter refuses to be victimized".

Do you know any resources for that? I want to refuse to be victimized.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:40PM

My way to refuse to be victimized was to resign. I'm still waiting for the required confession that I have this power over them and am officially out. I love it that they have to confirm this, it's basically them admitting that they have no power.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:45PM

Good link. Sounds a lot like a church I used to attend.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:43PM

that science is self-correcting but never religion.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:03PM

Richard Foxe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that science is self-correcting but never
> religion.

I hadn't thought of it that way, Richard. It's nice to see, isn't it? I keep thinking about the concept of "stature" that I posted about before. That concept implicitly includes self-correction within the attempt to "embrace as much of reality . . . as possible.":

"Theology, ethics, and personal growth should alike be judged in terms of their stature, that is, their ability to embrace as much of reality in its diversity as possible without losing one’s identity or spiritual center."

Epperly, Bruce G. (2011-04-07). Process Theology: A Guide for the Perplexed (p. 15). Continuum UK - Academic. Kindle Edition.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:20PM

This has been stated many times and many ways in many different genres.
Since this is happening does it then follow that perhaps there is merit to these types of conclusopns?
As we categorically list those things which are used to limit and control us would it be proper to tell these people to cease trying to "forcibly interfere with our rights?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.