Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:02AM

as the public learns more about LDS Inc, if a bootleg copy of the temple film shows up online?

I think it would be viewed with hilarity more than anything, with such questions as 'Isnt that the guy from WKRP in Cincinatti?' and 'Did they steal that from Disney?'

People have made hidden cam copies of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:19AM

Richard Packham has some good recordings of the audio track on his site, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten hold of a video.

Unless someone steals a copy from a temple, we'll probably wait a long time to see the film on Youtube. But it shouldn't be too difficult for some ex-Mo film students to recreate the film on DVD. Maybe with a Mystery Science Theater commentary track.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:24AM

I would disagree with the wait a long time thing. This is may be going down quickly.

My questions were more along legal lines. If a major new organization had a copy would they be able to hold off LDS legal challenges based on the 1st amendment and the publics right to know, particularly now with the Mitt factor? I would assume if it were released there would be no way of LDS being able to capture it back, especially if it were mirrored.

Secondly, if this were to be released somewhere such as the Iranian version of youtube, would it be stoppable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 08:26AM by deco.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:33AM

The temple movie isn't particularly controversial - it's just the creation and adam & eve stories.

It would probably have the impact of that ALL the temple is? Why do they keep that secret? It's no big deal.

All the weirdest stuff is done outside of the film.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:36AM

if it could be done, there are several ways to make it available....
there are popular websites [who's names would not get past the spam filter of RfM]

I imagine it is copyrighted, and the US first amendment would not cover a bootleg copy of a copyrighted film.
Because of that, I doubt you tube would touch it with a bargepole

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:13PM

I'd be surprised if it is copyrighted. I think that copyrighted materials have to be available to the public.

Of course, the church would claim that the film is proprietary, and that would certainly be true. But that might not be enough to keep it out of the public eye. Scientology tried to bury its own creation story (the whole Xenu thing) when its OT III documents were revealed, but as I recall the courts held that a proprietary claim was inconsistent with Scientology's status as a legal non-profit.

Even if the church could be successful in court, it's never possible to keep things off the web, so why would the church even expose itself to the publicity associated with litigation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.