Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peaceout2012 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:57AM

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101

This is nuts! Read the whole thing. Even the silly chart at this bottom that you can print off. It makes the church look so very modern day protestant. The lies and cover-ups are out of control. Showed this to the DH last night. He couldn't believe it either. The church is backing itself into an ugly corner. They are going to have new converts or people fairly new to the church, or children believing one thing and the others, and or parents, who have been around a while, who are expecting to become a "God" of they endure, believing another! This is insane. The church needs to grow up and own what they are. People whould be less upset if they would just be honest. I think it would be better if they said. "ya, we believe we're getting our own planet and becoming Gods. If you don't like it don't join." It's all the lies and dishonesty, the whole sham. How can the one and only true church be a completely different one and only true church in the relatively short 150 or so years it's been around? I'm over it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 09:25AM by peaceout2012.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:07AM

What a tangled web they weave. Even more disingenuous in that the statements are unaccredited to any official author and that they themselves can be denied as "not doctrine" when the time comes. I'd say that time is sometime after November when Romney has lost and the mainstream media no longer gives a rat's ass about Mormonism.

Date: April 03, 2012 09:24AM

I was so irritated last night while reading this with DH. Why is it that the church "authorities" can't seem to locate the doctrines or where these "rumors" were started? I can find them just fine. I can search them in conference talks or in manuals on THEIR website!!!!!

Posted by: SoLiberated ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:14AM

That IS insane and I bet you many of my family members will pin the info graph (as it is an actual option to 'pin it') and share it on facebook, too. Thanks for posting. More evidence of tscc craziness!

Posted by: Bryan O'Neil ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:35AM

Today the "official" position about Jesus-

2012-
"Latter-day Saints worship Jesus Christ as their Savior and Redeemer."

1982-
"We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense--the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator."
(Bruce R. McConkie, Brigham Young University on 2 March 1982)

I wonder why the 2012 version did not include the "entirely different sense" of Christ worship that McDonkey spoke about?

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:11AM

Those participation/attendance percentages are a LAUGH.
Looks to me like they just pulled them out of a hat.
(Looks like all the morg's best stuff comes out of a hat!)

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:22AM

Milk before meat: First it was whole milk, then 2%, then 1%, pretty soon it'll be non-fat.

And they flat out deny that they have meat, until you're baptized.

Just thinkin' out loud.....

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:48PM

+1 :)

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:30PM

In the future, the "meat" won't even be revealed after baptism. They will simply deny they have meat at all to all members except a chosen few.

Sooner or later current members will realise that the label "meat" simply refers to doctrines that are no longer taught.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:22AM

"Christ’s Atonement allows mankind to be saved from their sins and return to live with God and their families forever."

The church is implying that in the Mormon belief system, Christ's atonement is *sufficient* to live with God and your family forever. No further effort is required other than your belief in Christ.

The article also refers to "one baptism." Then any baptism will do?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:24AM

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:30AM

Not one of the scriptural references comes from the BoM. They are mainstreaming..."see the bible is our main source of scripture just like all the other christain churches, the BoM is only secondary just like we've always taught."

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:56AM

Maybe because it's not so much about getting believers in a True Doctrine / Gospel as it is about getting membership rolls and tithes?

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:06PM

They say the Book of Mormon "contains the writings of ancient prophets", as though this is a fact. They have no evidence of this, and many scholars and organizations have denounced the book as a fraud. So to say the Book of Mormon "contains the writings of ancient prophets" is misleading, fraudulent and is a lie. This is completely unethical, and Mormons should be ashamed of this. It's just tricking people into believing.

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:55PM

Thank you for sharing this!! Great material to debate with TBMs.
It is interesting that they chose to mostly use scriptures from the Bible.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:06PM

81% of Mormons believe being a good parent is their top goal in life compared to 50% of the general population.

Are you kidding me? This is the kind of crap that really chaps my hide. NonMormons don't want to be good parents?

Posted by: anonaholic ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:07PM

I notice that in the chart "A Family Faith" that New England is depicted as the 10% of the country that does not view Mormons as having "strong families."

Can't fool them Yankees.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:10PM

- One hundred percent of a sacrament meeting focuses on Jesus Christ? Try 0-10 percent. And that's on a good day. Everyone who attends knows that sacrament is about obedience, tithing, Joseph Smith and following the church/prophet. Jesus' teachings and life are rarely taught.

- Seventy-seven percent attend church weekly - how is that possible when 65 percent are inactive. When was the last time you attended a meeting with 77 percent of those on the rolls in attendance.

- By the same token, while a lot of inactives continue to believe in God, many also become atheists or non-practicing Christians. This makes it hard to believe 9-10 of those they claim are members actually pray daily.

- By the same token, 9 out of 10 of their claimed 14 million members probably don't read the scriptures daily or send their kids to religious education. They probably can't even locate 10 percent of those on their rolls.

- How can they not see how insulting they are being to say that Mormons feel it's more important to be a good parent or have a good marriage than non-LDS? Even if this stat were true, it's arrogant and self-defeating to brag about it because it makes Mormons look horribly self-righteous.

- Giving time and money to charities is far different from an organization extorting time and money from it's members. Mormons don't give nearly as much to other charities as the fear they need to give to the church.

I can't believe anyone who has been to church and been active in the church can't see these stats as blatant lies. Maybe some of the ones that bugged me won't bug TBMs like my mom but even someone like her should see these are flat out lies.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:19PM

"One hundred percent of a sacrament meeting focuses on Jesus Christ? Try 0-10 percent. And that's on a good day."

I think they mean that their prayers say "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen." Plus the two sacramental prayers - that's at least 4 references right there!

The rest of what happens in sacrament meeting is a complete pot shot.

Posted by: treehugger ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:15PM

"One hundred percent of a sacrament meeting focuses on Jesus Christ? Try 0-10 percent. And that's on a good day. Everyone who attends knows that sacrament is about obedience, tithing, Joseph Smith and following the church/prophet. Jesus' teachings and life are rarely taught"

Exactly. A few years ago the Sunday School teacher made some comment about how she knows she's supposed to focus on Jesus during the blessing and passing of the sacrament, but she finds it really hard to do because she's always thinking about other things, like work or whether or not she paid a bill. Seriously, you can't focus on Him for 10 minutes? And then there's the whole issue of testimony meetings turning into Joseph Smithgasms.

Date: April 03, 2012 03:48PM

I guess I should be grateful I read this. It just closed that door a whole lot tighter for me and I put a do not disturb sign out front. I am still baffled! All the comments have been great and helpful. I'm glad we can all agree, well at least here ;)

Posted by: Barry ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:42PM

All I can say is,

"67% of all statistics are made up"

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:38PM

That rises to 98% when they are Mormon statistics.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:46PM

"Do Mormon women lead in the Church?

Yes. All women are daughters of a loving Heavenly Father. Women and men are equal.."

Bwahahahahahaahahahaahahaha! WTF?

pffftt.....

Ron

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:49PM

It is perfectly clear to us that Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon are being "harmonized" right out of relevance.

Which is as we predicted.

The church does opposite speak, in that when they say there is something sacred, it really means there is nothing sacred.

Nothing.

Not the person more important than Christ to mankind or the book that cried out from the earth.

What IS important? Acceptance by mammon and the $ it brings.

The fundies are right.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:49PM

They are lying by omission and AT BEST INTENTIONALLY MISLEADING.

'Just ask a Mormon,' YEAH RIGHT!!

Posted by: Don't call me surly ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:41PM

I had a look at the link. I was left speechless, I can't believe what I was reading. It induces feelings of anger and frustration - anger at the brazen deception being perpetrated on the innocent who don't know the truth about Morg doctrines, and frustration at not being able to pin this cult down.

There are various ways to lie, the Morg employs them all. One way to lie is to say something that is contrary to and not borne out by the facts; another way is to not say something - to omit information which will give clear and correct perspective on an issue, thus allowing people to make a complete and informed decision on that issue; a third way is to use words which normally carry a specific and clear meaning but twist that meaning to suit the lie being told - so Mormon salvation has no relation whatever to what Christians usually understand by that word.

Still another way to lie is to put out a statement or pronouncement for public consumption and then privately practice and or preach something entirely different. Yet another variation is to get underlings to do the dirty work and make pronouncements which the fifteen tired, old men can then refute and deny all knowledge of.

Then there's the implied lie, or the lie by association, where pronouncements or statements are made that suggest a link between the statements or ideas and reality that doesn't exist.

I am sure you can think of a few more ways and if you do it's a safe bet that the Morg practices that too.

This behavior is a sign of how desperate the Morg has become. While it is anger inducing and frustrating it should also provide some comfort in knowing that we are witnessing the beginning of the end of a cruel blight that afflicts so many.

The Morg is digging itself deeper into that hole and when it eventually stops digging it will realize that it has no where to go. The only option available to the Morg will be to evolve into a truly mainstream Christian organization with orthodox, biblical teachings.

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:34AM

gOOD ARTICAL.. i TOP IT AGREE.....lARRY.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:39PM

Lots of demands for respect in that article.

Mormons think they don't have to earn respect, but that they can demand respectful writing about garmies from all reporters.

One word comes to mind, arrogant.

Posted by: Memes circa 2000 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 07:00PM

Uh, I was promised a planet, WTH? Plus the whole women lead thing looks super fake. If I read this and I were still LDS this would be a definite slap in the face to me. I would want to know what happened to what the church really teaches. Are they just lyin fer the Lord again?

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 07:39PM

Deception and Morgism at it's finest. It simply amazes me at those you can live in it with their eye's wide open.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 07:43PM

to most any Christian, the 'meat' of Christ's gospel is:

Love for God & neighbor.period.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 08:03PM

Wow. They make it sound so good I want to rejoin.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.