Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:10PM

The time has come for me to retire from this board. I've known this is coming which is probably why I've been so active on it for the last few days - a final goodbye letting it go.

I've seen it coming that it is getting to the point that my recovery means thinking a lot less about Mormonism and moving on with my life. Leaving this board is a big part of that for me.

Thank you for your personal stories that have resonated with and taught me in so many ways.

The reason I've decided I've finally reached that this is the time to leave is I've realized the peer pressure to vilify Mormon's and Mormonism has finally reeled me in. One of my beliefs is that the often sensationalism of the "anti-mormon" approach prevents TBMs from seeing the truth that Mormonism is a fraud - there seems to be plenty of clearly factual evidence to not need to go into the conjecture. I've for a time attempted on this board to counter things I see as conjecture, misinformation, etc. with reality. I've found today that in my posts that I've given this up - I've gotten to the point of only pointing out the negative because I don't want to be flamed, attacked, etc. for it any more. I just want to fit in with the cool group. For me, that means it's time to be done. It was like trying to stop the Mississippi river with my arm anyway.

The main reason I wanted to write this final post is to say thanks.

Thanks for answering some questions for me about my personal situation that greatly helped me to make good decisions. Specifically I think my marriage will be much more positive because of answers, replies, and thoughts I received on this board.

Thank you for your very many kind and thoughtful answers to my specific questions and concerns. Behind the veneer of anger and hostility sometimes expressed on this board, there is a very very deep pool of wisdom and compassion.

Thanks for being there to share my disbelief. For a time it was very difficult and I felt very isolated to be alone in my not believing. It was super helpful to come here and not be alone. Thanks for being there so I could say "It's not me that is crazy - plenty of other people are seeing the same thing." I have gotten to the point that this lonesomeness doesn't bother me so much any more; that support was critical for me for a time.

Thank you for often hearing and appreciating my comments. At a time in my life where my beliefs and choices are considered almost completely invalid by those around me (I am fooled by satan) it has been a super big deal to have some validation for some of what I see and believe.

Thanks for opening my eyes and widening my understanding. This has happened in many areas - a reintroduction to the myer-brigg personality models is an unexpected example of something that has been super helpful for me. I probably learned the most from those who believed the most differently than me. So for those I have debated with and/or expressed didn't views with - thank you. It has been especially helpful to get a more broad understanding of the plethora of problems, abuse, etc. caused by Mormonism and by Mormons. The realization of just how problematic a lay ministry of random neighbors given, in essence, god-like authority was a big eye opener for me. Many of those in authority wield in in a good way - many others use it in an evil way - some overtly, some not.

Thanks for the indirect encouragement to resign my membership. I may have never done that without my exposure to this board. For me personally that resignation was a very helpful thing - I feel a huge sense of freedom and healthy distance that I do not believe I would have felt otherwise.

Thank you for the clarity and helping me think through many things in regards to atheism vs religion, morality, happiness, etc.

Thank you for the many examples of how different ones of you have dealt with your recovery of Mormonism. I have found many examples of approaches I want to emulate and pitfalls I want to avoid.

So long and thanks for all the fish is a factitious goodbye from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. However, in the story it was given by the dolphins who had the foresight to know that it was time for them to move on - and thus it is for me.

I can't promise to never lurk again, but I'm definitely taking a hiatus from even that. It has been a pleasure to cross paths with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 03:12PM by ronas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:18PM

Thanks for all your thoughts too. All my best to you!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:19PM

Thanks for being part of our board patchwork! I've enjoyed your input, and wish you well on the rest of your journey. You're always welcome back any time you need.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:24PM

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:27PM

Oh ronas! I loved reading your posts and comments the most. You are so insightful and full of wisdom and understanding. I will miss you. Im proud of you for moving on! I hope to be following in your footsteps soon, but I still have a lot of much needed closure in my life to sort out. Take care! dont be a stranger, we would love to see how your doing in the future.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:30PM

Aww man...I loved your posts. Take care though...thanks for all your contributions:)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:39PM

Good luck and all the best. I really enjoyed your posts.

Posted by: anatbrat ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:45PM

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime is doubly so." Thanks for the laughs. See ya 'round.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:00PM

...for your continuing voyage through life. I enjoyed your posts. Best of luck to you! Check back in at some point in the future and let us know how you're faring.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:04PM

When people post about their departure, do they come back to read the responses?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 08:04PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:30PM

I wish you the best in life! Not that it will do anything but have a good time in your journey!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:36PM

Enjoyed your posts. I too feel that moving on in the near future will be best. We are all moving along looking for answers. Too bad it is never as easy as "42".

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:32PM

LOL thanks for the backhanded compliments, ronas. Glad the board was able to help you some.

But we do not have as much villifying of Mormonism here as you seem to perceive.
Stating the facts about the cult is usually quite enough.

Have a great life.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:29PM

Thanks for the kind words and goodbyes. It's kind of like getting to attend my own funeral. For those who wanted to say "good riddance" thanks from refraining.

A few response:
Yes, I read these posts. Whether I mis-perceive Mormons being vilified or not here isn't what matters - it's that I found myself beginning to do so, and that isn't the path I wish to take. You definitely won't see me tomorrow as I am off for a 10 day vacation to Cancun with my two oldest boys :)

My thanks is very sincere.

Best of luck to all of you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 10:30PM by ronas.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:33PM

Hate to see you go. You've been a great poster. Enjoy the quest!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:58PM

"Don't panic"

Best wishes. :)

Posted by: sdee onphone ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:02PM

I liked your level head. Sad to see you go, but love your reason for leaving. See ya.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:51AM

Hope everything turns out OK for you - and that you'll drop by here from time to time to say hello.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:09AM

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:59AM

Loved your posts and I would love to see more.

Briggy

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 08:13AM

Enjoyed your posts and great comments. Don't forget to wash your birthday suit from time to time.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:02AM

We'll keep the light on just in case.

Timothy

Posted by: allwhowander ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:37AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.