Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:27PM

Please, pretty please, write it voilà
(The o comes before the i, and the a takes an accent that you can do with 'alt 130')

Don't get me wrong, I know I make a lot of mistakes with my English and because of it, I had decided to stay quiet about it, but it seems to me that a lot of people like to use that word (here and other places that I visit) and they almost always spell it wrong. Ok it can be a typo, but then it's a typo that happens quite often. (Although, I know that I know it's been use more the right way then not on this forum)

A viola is a type of instrument and it is also the French verb "to rape" or "to break a rule" or "to profane"
at the 3rd singular person Past tense.

Thank you!!!
;-)
(Off of the soap box)

Yes it's true Viola is also the name of a flower and the name of a woman (or girl)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 12:30PM by quebec.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:47PM

While adapted from the original French, when used in English the accent mark is NOT required, as it's not a standard for our spelling rules.

So yes, if you're writing in French, you're correct. But in English, sorry... your criticism is incorrect. It's not a typo. It is an option, and a frequently used one - but not required.

(other examples from French that have dropped the accent mark per English spelling rules- debris, naive, matinee, facade).

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:06PM

Quebec is pointing out a real error between /voila/ and /viola/. There's a vowel change there.

Date: April 03, 2012 06:10PM

Yes that was the main thing,
but I do stand corrected about the accent ;-)

Posted by: ike42 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:09PM

You're right that the accent isn't needed. However, the main point is that the word is "voila", not "viola".

I had a professor at U of U who liked to say (verbally) "Viola!". He did it deliberately to be funny, so when I see it written that way, I often assume it is a joke.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:06PM

what you said is basically accurate.... and if you are going to get started down that road, then why don't you go ahead & explain that it is really based on how the printing industry ended up determining and dictating what English language would be more than any group of academics or intellectuals, just like cell phones & texting is going to again , to an even larger extent.

alright? (printers convention contraction then accepted as proper English due to prominence )

or allright? (the more proper former version, even though a dozen of my STUPID PREACHY English teachers did not have a clue! )

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:53PM

Bwala! I stand corrected.

Date: April 03, 2012 06:03PM

If I am not mistaken, the "viola" thing came from Bugs Bunny. It's supposed to be funny, a la Americans who mispronounce foreign words

Problem is, it's impossible to tell if it's an intentional misspelling or not. :-P

Date: April 03, 2012 06:11PM

Oh, ok, I did not know that - Thanks

Date: April 03, 2012 06:13PM

Even if you speak english as well as you evidently do, it's not something you normally learn.

Posted by: ike42 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:12PM

My sister used to use "walla!" in emails until one time I pointed out that she must mean "voila!". She had seen "voila" written before, but didn't realize the two were the same word!
:)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:19PM

Viola .......Latin word meaning violet in color.....can also be used referring to viola the flower.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:21PM

Does anyone here clap and say "Bravo!!!" here?
Oh wait, that's a different thing ...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:24PM

I never say that word, so I didn't notice the spelling. However, I have had to stop and try to figure out what people are saying when they say "viola" because that's a stringed instrument a little larger than a violin. It's always nice to learn something new, even if it doesn't directly affect me.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:29PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 06:29PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:31PM

oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 06:33PM by Mia.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:36PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 07:37PM by serena.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:42PM

Posted by: liberalbutteffer ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:51PM

It's a pet peeve of mine for people to spell it wah lah!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:41PM

Cela ne veut rien dire. Comme ce que tu dis.

Voila, fou!

Date: April 03, 2012 08:54PM

then "here it is" (/ voila)

how should people feel about LDS business execs improperly being given the title of "apostle"? ...... and all the other ongoing rape (like Joe Smith on his latest teen bride) of language by MORmONS in the attempt to justify their stupid cult .....or the insistence of Utah hillbillies to pronounce Evanston (Wyoming) as "Evingston"

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:36AM

Lucky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> then "here it is" (/ voila)

:wince:

Date: April 04, 2012 03:03AM

schmendrick Wrote:
> Lucky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > then "here it is" (/ voila)
>
> :wince:

Oh! That's right! "voila" means THERE IT IS
"voici" means HERE it is.

..... and the best way to avoid usage mistakes in the fraunch language? -IS STILL TO AVOID USING FRAUNCH AT ALL !

which is how and why this "viola" joke got started in the first place.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:39AM

Lucky Wrote:
> or the insistence of Utah hillbillies to
> pronounce Evanston (Wyoming) as "Evingston"

Whoa there Lucky, dems my peeps.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:58PM

Reminds me of the brilliant Rosanne Rosadanna skit on SNL defending violins on television.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:19PM

...I sure hope they know the difference between a violA and a violIN.

:)

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:58AM

This is exactly what I thought when I read this topic. I was like "Well...I play the viola- oh....that's what you mean."

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:35AM

You had me paranoid because I know I've used that word in the last week or so, so I went back through my posts and finally found it. I did spell it correctly but I could have easily have spelled it wrong being that I'm almost always posting from my phone or I might have had just had a beer too many. Haha. I don't worry as much on these boards about my spelling and grammer but I probably should.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:15AM

Unless of course you are talking about the VIOLA instrument which I play. Then VIOLA is the correct spelling. Here there is an emsemble of musicians called VOILA VIOLA. Just my two cents.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:13AM

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:58AM

Since this thread discusses the proper use of the English language it is worth noting that the post heading should be "For everyone who likes..." rather than "For everyone that like...". The word "everyone" is singular, not plural, and so "likes" is the right word.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:06AM

Unfortunately, when the emigres left England they decided that they didn't like the letter 'u' any more so left them all behind. I have a pile of them and would like to return them to their rightful owners - for a small fee.

Voila!

Doffing my brow and giving props to our Commonwealth cousins across the pond in Canadia - where they know the real meaning of BACON!

:-)

Briggy

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:40AM

. . . the Golden Plates?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.