Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:54PM

My wife found these before and after action figures on a Mormon website with Laman and Lemuel as separate light skinned/dark skinned characters.

http://lehi.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=tnpckvir5j5pnqguo9jviobmt6

Mrs. Tall Man Short Hair sent a note about this to Peggy Fletcher Stack at the Salt Lake Tribune yesterday, and Ms. Stack replied she'd look into it. Here's the article that appeared today:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/53848758-180/figures-mormon-book-lemuel.html.csp

This may well have legs since this is such an offensive LDS belief. Public proclamations notwithstanding, their scripture clearly teaches this, and its being taught to their children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:06AM

Excellent work, kudos to the sharp-eyed Mrs. Tall Man Short Hair.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:11AM

Wow. How eff'd up is that? Nice work getting that to Stack...

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:50AM

Racism has been completely socially unacceptable among the mainstream for a long, long time, and Mormonism is still having a great deal of difficulty emerging from the past and shaking off these despicable teachings and practices.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:58AM

I must say that I have never encountered racism during my church years, but then again, I am white and delightsome (but I don't remember it being practiced against others either).

This, however, sends a pernicious message to young children who are very observant of minute details (you try to keep all those Pokemon-creatures apart as an adult) - even if it were unintentional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 09:55AM by rt.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:49AM

(yes, I'm THAT OLD!)

in the mid-60's, the Mo Family that was mentoring me was rather anti-civil rights; they had the (?) to verbalize that: 'the goal might be right, but the methods are Wrong'
as if they had a 'Better' way in mind, but c/wouldn't bother to enlighten anyone else about it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 02:50AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:50AM

I hope my comment to the SLT brightened someone's day...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 04:24AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:57AM

Mrs. Tall Man Short Hair requested I clarify that she did not actually discover these dark/light skinned action figures on her own. She ran across them on the blog requesting that Apostle Holland meet with ex-Mormons to discuss our differences (as he offered in the recent BBC documentary, "The Mormon Candidate). There are a couple of mentions there: http://talkwithholland.blogspot.com/2012/03/elder-holland-were-ready.html?showComment=1333244735556#c4292455053515525806

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:55AM

This is indeed the "Mormon Moment." It's the moment when people at large start giving the LDS Mormons the scrutiny they deserve. Mormons are trapped by 1830s thinking and they can't escape from it. I wonder how many LDS will start considering joining the FLDS or other fundie groups now that the Brethren are pubilcally repudiating their own teachings. They aren't going to be able to get away with that any longer in the Information Age...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.