Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: adamisfree2006 (formerly on_my_way_out_2) ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:51AM

I still have to ocassionally pinch myself since it seems like a dream. It hasn't been a "perfect" exit.

The stress of telling my wife, then our children and then my family was tough. It was easier when DW & kids decided to resign with me. The change was tough on our kids. They have adapted and remolded their thinking in various ways. Some are doing great while others are trying to figure it out. None are church going or religious.

My wife and I have adjusted well. We embrace freedom and our relationship is as good as it was during our 20 years of mormonism.

I do find that I have little tolerance for all things religious, almost to a fault. I sometimes wish I didn't have such hatred for organized religion. I would say I am definitely agnostic. Not sure about atheism.

The political process and mormon media exposure has stirred more emotions and anger than I care to deal with. I am glad that the LD$ church is getting so much media exposure so that the rest of the world can see how f#c&ed up they are.

Again, thanks to my exmo cyber friends. There are many of you posters who I have shared stories, thoughts and anger with for many years. Some I have met in person, (t-bone, tupelo honey, deenie-the-dreaded single adult *RIP*, and others). Some that I am now FB friends with while sharing our passion for *Rush*.

Even though I rarely post, I lurk often and will reply when I feel compelled. Not sure if my "recovery" is complete but it sure has reached a level never before felt.

Peace Out! ~Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostbagle ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:37PM

I am six years behind you. Our stories are similar. I also have four cildren, my husband found out about the not so talked about histories of the church first which led me to digging in to it just this past January.
Sorry your kids are having such a hard time adjusting. I imagine it will be hard for some of mine as well.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 (formerly on_my_way_out_2) ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:13PM

It does seem as though our stories are similar. I was the one who "discovered" the bad history while I was the gospel doctrine teacher. Once I told my wife, she was at first defensive and drew a line that I was not allowed to cross. I just kept brushing up on the line and eventually she figured it out.

As for our kids, they were 18, 15, 14, 12 when we left. Tough ages to be yanked from your social network. They socially recovered with a few battle scars. The harder part was the so-called defined future. Our daughters thought go to college and get an "MRS.". Our oldest now 24 and single is somewhat worried about not being married because all of her 19-22 yr. old LD$ cousins are getting or got married. We have one son who was/is consumed with the illegal use of weed which has caused him a great deal of legal scars now. The two youngest seem to have adjusted well.

Good luck with your exit. I am happy for you guys. It is great when both spouses can figure it out and dthe marriage remains intact.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.