Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Probitas est optimus ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:23AM

Huh? Last time I checked there is a BIG penalty for not living up to the covenants...you will be in the very power of Satan himself....right??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:30AM

it's not a penalty at all :-)

Posted by: nope ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:34AM

And also, in the temple people use to gesture to slit their throats and cut open their bellies if they violate their oaths.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:14PM

That's not true, that's not true. There are no penalties in the Temple...JFH

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:38AM

...the interviewer did NOT use the word "penalties". He asked whether patrons once had to mimic the ritual slitting of the throat. The interviewer either was not familiar with the term "penalties", or else felt the audience would not be familiar with the term, so he described the gestures (slitting of throat, chest, abdomen) instead.

It was Holland who responded "there are no penalties in the temple". The fact that HE used the word "penalties", when the interviewer never used the word, proves that Holland knows what the word means and that they once were a part of the endowment. If they had never existed, Mormons wouldn't have a dedicated word to describe them.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:22PM

It's just too bad that so few members will actually watch that interview.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:33PM

I disagree. *PLENTY* of members will watch it. I'm sure my entire TBM family have, and a good half of my Facebook friends list. The problem is they won't understand it. They all say what a great job Elder Holland did. There will be no significant whatsoever in that clip to TBMs.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:12PM

...I sometimes forget how the Mormon Blinders prevent one from seeing reality.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:50PM

Many may watch it. I believe that it will end up being like when GBH said he doesn't know if mormons will become gods on Larry King. We watched it in seminary and all everybody in my class was saying how well he did in the interview.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:11PM

Exactly. I watched that in Seminary and thought he did very well. How wonderful it was to have a prophet like GBH sharing the gospel with the world through the MSM!

I actually only understood the significance of what he said 8 months ago when I started "investigating" the church.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:20PM

I think it's plain old arrogance. You are at the top of the organizational pyramid surrounded by boot-licking sycophants all day and sealed off from outsiders. It's bound to give you an inflated sense of self and a myopic paradigm of the universe.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:29PM

I watched the documentary and it was really good.

Date: April 04, 2012 04:32PM

God will not be mocked - sounds like a penalty.

If these people do not live up to the covenants that try make at this alter on this day I will have them in my power (Satan speaking) - sounds like a penalty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 04:32PM by Stumbling.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:44PM

Yes. But it was Satan the Father of Lies, who issues the threat that if we don't live up to the covenants we will be in his power. So guess it's a paper tiger.

The only thing is that Satan is the only character in the temple who says anything of consequence.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:53PM

The weak apologetic of ceaselessly parsing language in order to avoid actually answering the question only works on the faithful. The rest of us see it for the Shinola it is.

So, yes, Brother Apostle Sir Holland. There ARE no penalties in the temple. But the question you were asked was whether there WERE penalties in the temple when Mitt went through. The only honest answer to the question was "Yes".

You blew it.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Probitas est optimus ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:15PM

How is Satan's threat to have you under his power if one doesn't live up the covenants made in the Temple not a penalty?

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:24PM

good point. I've never been through the temple. I was more reacting to what I see on mormon apologetic sites. The silly linguistic games that are played on such sites are exactly the kind Holland is playing here. But, yes, the lie is even greater given what you said.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:36PM

The Book of Mormon or some religious book as if in some legit gesture ready to lie for the Lord and he blatantly did.

He blatantly lied when he said 'It's not true'.

It was only a few seconds later that he had do a U turn and admit it.

LDS Cult liars.

Date: April 05, 2012 07:59AM

Shouldn't Holland now be required to slit his own throat for revealing to the world that part of the endowment used to be taking an oath to slit your own throat if you spoke of taking an oath to slit your own throat to people who hadn't taken an oath to slit their own throat if they revealed they had taken an oath to slit their own throat?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.