Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:07PM

I resigned via email a couple weeks ago (there's a thread about it way down the list.). Mine and my husband's letters arrived last night. Yay!

What pushed me to resign is that we are joining another church and no longer identify as Mormons. It's nice. I agree with what CAGirl said about the Catholic church. You can be as active as you want to be.

Sorry the post is so disjointed, I'm just happy. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:28PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:49PM

2 more out the door! yay!

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:50PM

Are you attending the Catholic church? Between the various churches I have visited, the Catholic church seems to be what I need for now.
Which email address did you send your letter to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 01:53PM by angelina5.

Date: April 04, 2012 02:06PM

angelina5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you attending the Catholic church? Between the
> various churches I have visited, the Catholic
> church seems to be what I need for now.
> Which email address did you send your letter to?

I am attending the Catholic church. I am getting baptized there Saturday night. The parish we are in is quite nice.

I sent my resignation to the email listed under the resignation link. http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Kim

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:14PM

Fatntastic!!! I was Catholic before joining the Church so I am still considered one....I was kind of glad to learn that.
Thank you!

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:17PM

Good luck with your other church pursuits. I personally couldn't associate with another organized church, but I am envious of those who can extract from LD$ Inc. and still be religious believers. Cheers...

Date: April 04, 2012 02:51PM

I probably would not have joined without my husband insisting he wanted to be part of a larger church community. We did some shopping, and that was the place I felt most comfortable. It helped to have friends that went there. I don't agree with everything, but I doubt I could find a church locally that I did agree with completely.

I think this is the right move for me at the present, but I do understand where you're coming from.

Kim

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:06PM

Couple of weeks? All right! Seems the membership department is becoming more efficient at processing resignations. I resigned about 18 months ago and it took them about 60 days to process.

Wish we had some way of knowing how many folks are leaving. A couple of years ago, the number was estimated at 150,000/year, IIRC. Judging by the comments on this board, I have to think the exodus is much greater than that.

Do you think Membership Records provides resignation data up the food chain? Probably not; Churchco management has more important things to focus on.

Congrats on your new freedom - and congrats too that you and your husband left together.

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:21PM

It is possible to make a guess:

2011 Membership = 14,441,346
2010 Membership = 14,131,467

Increase: 309,879

Converts + Children in 2011: 401,229

So that total of deaths and members leaving the church:

I would guess that most of those are deaths. Probably most people who leave the church simply go inactive.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:31PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:16PM

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:39PM

Congratulations! Best wishes in your new life.

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:04PM

Catholic really? If there is one religion more fucked up then the Mormons it's the Catholics.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:19PM

Great news, congrats! In many places in the world, the Catholics are still pretty fucked up. However, there are also islands of quite benign, non-threatening, very community-based Catholic groups.

You can come and go as you please, and believe what you please, and donate money or not as you see fit. In these groups no one is going to come after you, cult-like, to interview you or check on your activity or anything.

Mass can be a very serene and reflective experience.

Gotta love the open bar at the fund-raisers too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 06:19PM by rodolfo.

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:31PM

I hung out at a Catholic church in college. There was a keg cooler in the activity hall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.