Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Freerange Glass@yahoo.com ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 01:20AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 01:25AM

It is yet another republicommie front organization.
The "article" is totally biased.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 03:01AM

So you think the video was fake?

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is yet another republicommie front
> organization.

True

> The "article" is totally biased.

The 'article" meaning the video, what the site said about the video or both?

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 02:33AM

O'Donnell does not not sound very professional, I think he has an axe to grind with the LDS church. But, he speaks the truth.Not very PC, and I like that.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 02:38AM

Surprised he is saying that, and I am glad he is speaking against the church, but hope he is factual. There is so much bs in the church that it is not necessary to go overboard when critiquing the church.

If we stick to the truth, we easily win the debate. If we stretch the truth, that becomes the story instead of the church itself.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:49AM

One of my blog replies received attention from the staff when I mentioned that it was impossible for Brigham Young to have told Miles Park Romney (Mitt's g-g-grandfather) to establish a polygamist colony in Mexico in 1885 because Young died in 1877.

I then warned them that on-line LDS apologist types would seize on the latest inaccurarcy to discredit such reporting that it was important to triple check material.

The issue is complex; even this one with his choice of the word "maid" is questionable (since the Smiths were hardly wealthy enough to afford one), and that "48 wives" is open to dispute.

I've already seen charges of religious bigotry beling tossed at O'Donnell, which is doubtless going to be the campaign's "fall back" position.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:09AM

She was a girl living away from her parents, living in the JS household and doing domestic labor for them.

I think it's OK to call her a maid.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:18PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The issue is complex; even this one with his
> choice of the word "maid" is questionable (since
> the Smiths were hardly wealthy enough to afford
> one),

JS had a way of living high on the hog without having to personally have a large income. When you can get your followers to build you a house just by having God tell them to, you are "wealthy."

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:24AM

This is not a faked clip. It was a segment on O'Donnell's show on MSNBC called Last Word. I think this aired Tuesday night. I just happened to be watching when it came on.

About a year or so ago, somebody on here posted a link to a clip of O'Donnell appearing on the McGlaughlin Group. He started to go off on the topic of JS. I was loving it, but McGlaughlin shut him down and moved on. Too bad. I can't remember exactly, but I think O'Donnell started looking into JS and polygamy as a result of the TV show Big Love (is that what it's called?) Anyway, he seems pretty shocked that anybody buys the LDS crap and he'd like to expose it for what it is. He has a platform to put it out there, but he gets criticized for belittling someon's else's religion.

Posted by: nonmoparents ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:20AM

He played the lawyer for Bill and the family in Big Love.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:14AM

he'd have a lot more credibility on this topic if he wasn't such an openly proud Catholic, who had used his religion to downplay any concerns about the availability of contraceptives for women, claiming it was a "freedom of religion issue".

Can't have it both ways, Larry. As a progressive, you should understand that...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:12PM

He's not an openly proud catholic. I'd guess he's an atheist. He's far too enlightened to believe the dogma of the catholic church.

He's a superb writer. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to mormonism. It doesn't matter what he or anyone says, mormons will always claim it is inaccurate in some way. He's helping educate Americans about the insanity of the mormon church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 12:14PM by thingsithink.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:14PM

but you haven't watched him much if you don't know about his catholicism. He wears it on his sleeve. He's pretty obnoxious about it, actually. It's one of the things I don't like about him.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:18PM

One link to prove your point? It doesn't exist.

I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if you can post a single link to support your claim that he wears catholicism on his sleeve. But your argument sounds like an apologist misdirection when confronted with the silliness that is mormon doctrine.

A link?

Date: April 05, 2012 12:41PM

I have no problem at all with O'Donnell pointing out the idiocy and dishonesty of mormonism. In fact, implying I'm an "apologist" is just a straw man argument.

As far as O'Donnell and his catholicism, I'm not doing your legwork for you. I used to watch his show EVERY SINGLE NIGHT until he started in about the contraception/religious freedom BS. I'm know I'm right. I don't have to prove it to an adamant fool.

In fact, I have to conclude that you either don't watch his show at all, or YOU are a CATHOLIC apologist.

See, you're not the only one who can throw around baseless accusations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 12:43PM by helamonster.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:46PM

Larry is in favor of contraception and rejects the religious liberty argument.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:09PM

I view Larry as an amusing ally, but he would be more effective if he toned it down a bit.

The notion that church and religion are taboo subjects for criticism is still well-ingrained in our culture. Some who might otherwise listen will simply tune him out when he goes over the top.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:17PM

Larry isn't a fence sitter. He tells it like it is. If any mormons or ex-mormons don't like hearing an outsider critique their religion, oh well.

It is great to see him talk about mormonism openly. It doesn't matter what you say about the mormon church in public. Once you talk about any doctrine, it sounds over the top, hyper critical, and ridiculous. That's not Larry's problem. That's a problem with mormon doctrine.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:21PM

I personally would love to see an end to the Mormon Church. It's pretty obvious the early leaders were nutcases and the church is based on fraud (Book of Abraham ect..).

The thing is if Mr. O'donnell is going to do an expose on Mormonism, he needs to be fair and balanced. That involves mentioning the Democrat members as well. If he atacks Romney for being Mormon he also has to attack Harry Reid to be fair and ballanced. I doubt we will see this.

Also O'Donnell has a habit of spouting things that are not factual and over agrandizing them. This guy's ratings are in the toilet anyways. I doubt the more proffessional liberal media people and the Democratic party itself will even go here.

The reality is most religions are nuts. The Catholic Church has done far worse stuff than the Mormon church ever did. They came after John F. Kennedy regarding his family membership in that church and he still won.

I think most people will view Brigham Young as a old racist nutjob but then figure most religious leaders of that day were. Then they will look at the modern church and see it's not the same thing. Sure, it shows Mormonism reinvents itself but then most people realize you are in a religion because of family and religions change.

I doubt this will really have any impact. The audience is the far left anyways and the right wingers who view Mormons as Satan worshippers were't going to vote for Romney anyways.

To be honest, the averag person probably won't even pay attention to this.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:44PM

True, the average person won't listen to him.

It sounds like your beef with Larry is politics rather than his stance on Mormonism. I'm glad to see anyone shed light on Mormonism. But, since many republicans think Mormonism is evil, Larry can show liberals just how in unenlightened mormon doctrine is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 11:00PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:54PM

I saw the commentary live on the Lawrence O'Donnel show. All he really did was bring up REAL quotes from LDS scripture and prophets. Membership in racists organizations (the August Golf and Country Club) has been brought up in the approval of judges and such. This seems about the same to bring up racist LDS doctrines and a candidates membership in the organization. I don't think he crossed a line that doesn't get crossed often in judicial nominations...IMHO.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.