Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 03:56PM

I remember distictly the discord that ensued between sacrament meetings at our building. I don't know what it is with Mormons and Cheerios, but about half the ward carried around a baggie full of 'em for the tykes to munch on during sacrament. When we'd leave for the other 2 hours worth of meetings, the chapel floor looked like a Cheerio grenade had gone off.

Well, this never sat well with the ward that had sacrament right after us. The proverbial shit hit the fan and Cheerios were banned from the chapel. The week after the announcement, sacrament attendance was down about 30%, so the ban was lifted with an admonishment to clean up after oneself.

Cheerios. LOL WTF?

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 04:00PM

Date: December 01, 2010 04:15PM

always wished I were in one of those families who brought Cherrios to church. Nope, that is not my testimony. We couldn’t do anything at church, but put our hands in our laps and look straight ahead. Once some friendly unsuspecting woman, had one of her kids offer us a snack. We each took one and popped it in our mouths. When my Mother looked down that pew and saw our mouths moving the look on her face alone made me start to sweat. You see my parents rarely said, “You’re gonna get it when you get home.” They had the “This is the place” mentality. If you can act up here then this is the place you get punished. After Sacrament meeting she herded us into the women’s restroom (yes, even my brother). Now Brothas and Sistas, I’m not going to write the details of what happened to us in the restroom that Sunday, but let’s just say we felt everything, but the Spirit. After that when ever someone tried to hand us a treat we looked at them like they were handing us a piece of leprosy and said, NO THANK YOU! (In our heads we were saying, “Get that away from me, I’m trying to be reverent, are you crazy! Do you not know who my Mother is?) I don’t know a thing about bring snacks to church in Tupperware, and by Tupperware do you mean those plastic cups my Mother kept in the cupboard that she said were too expensive for us to drink out of.

Once in Primary they told us bringing “quiet books” to church was a good way to be reverent in Sacrament meeting. Well, Brothas and Sistas, they lied, cause when I tried to walk out of the house with that “quiet book”, my Mama got real loud! Oh, and don’t even think about asking to go to the bathroom during Sacrament meeting, if you didn’t go at home, or before the meeting started, you had better take that up with your bladder. While we watched other children happily coloring in their coloring books, we looked down at the back of the one meeting program that my parents divided into sections so we could all share it to write down thoughts about the talks we were supposed to be listening too. In Sacrament meeting the Friend, was no friend of mine. If you thought church magazines were allowed, you thought wrong. Once my brother was reading one, and even though he was sitting on the opposite end of the pew from my Mom, the back of her go go Gadget arm found the back of his head.

Do you know why Bishops keep candy in their office, and say have as many as you’d like? I don’t, I don’t even know what the Bishop’s candy tastes like. When we got treats in Primary my parents wouldn’t let us eat them at church, not even after church. We had to take it home and save it. Save it for what you ask? Save it until they said we could eat it, and by then that popcorn ball was so stale, that it tasted like it actually fe1l off the apricot tree. (Click here if you don’t get that joke.)

Do you want to know who I blame? I blame YOU! My parents got away with acting like the Grinch Who Stole Primary thanks to all the adults who after Sacrament meeting said, "You’re children are always so well-behaved." So excuse me if I didn’t comment on yesterday’s post, I was to busy experiencing flash backs and cold sweats.

Was it just me, or did you have parents who sucked the fun out of being Mormon? What kind of parent are you? What keeps your kids reverent in Sacrament meeting? What keeps YOU reverent?

Sista Larel

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 05:03PM

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 04:22PM

It sounds like Sista Larel's mother and my mother shared the same DNA, or at least were soul-sisters. My mother sucked the fun out of being ALIVE!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 04:23PM

The Cheerio is an important religious symbol in Mormoni$m.

It represents the dry brittle sphincter of Joseph Smith’s mummified body buried beneath the cornerstone at the northeast corner of the SLC temple.

As the young morg-let consumes the sacred Cheerio, he / she is actually trans-morgifying his / her own poop chute to become as dry, brittle and unyielding as Old Joe’s.

As such it increases the little morg-bot’s ability to retain ever increasing quantities of crap.

Before long these Mormon midgets are so full of sh*t that even their brain-pans become packed to capacity.

By the time they are young adult children of God, the crap has totally blocked their eye and ear holes and is literally pouring out of their mouths.

Thus is the deep mystery revealed in the partaking of the sacred Cheerio.

ziller

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 04:54PM

What kills me is you could have told them JS was a fraud, the 1st vision is bunk, the Book of Abraham is made up, etc., and they would have become more TBM, but take away their Cheerios and 30 % will go inactive!

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 06:27PM

jon1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kills me is you could have told them JS was a
> fraud, the 1st vision is bunk, the Book of Abraham
> is made up, etc., and they would have become more
> TBM, but take away their Cheerios and 30 % will go
> inactive!

I know, right?

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:27PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 06:12PM

As far as I'm concerned, there is no fun in mormonism. Your mother sucked the life out of an already bad system.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 10:30PM

I cracked up at the too expensive for us to drink out of Tupperware glasses. Why buy glasses if you can't afford to drink from them.

I'm also laughed because I'm drinking an adult beverage from just such a glass. Nothing like a glass with a lid on it when you're in the hot tub and might knock it over into the water.

Posted by: LongTimeGone ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:09PM

Loved the visual of booze in an adult sippy-cup! Thanks for the laugh.

Date: December 02, 2010 11:07AM

Ain't THAT the truth! God know WHAT's in an ex-mo hot tub.

Ron

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:08PM

Gotta have your Cheerios. What else is there to do while you sit there? I guess soon there will be a ban on iPhones.
I used to wonder why water in the sacrament cups rather than grape juice like other religions. Now I think its because grape juice would be too expensive based on the ward annual budget.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:39PM

We Catholics have goldfish . . . did you they come in flavors???? Nothing like the crunch of kneeling on one of those little suckers . . .

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:42PM

"We Catholics have goldfish . . ."

You can't get Goldfish with WIC vouchers....Cheerios you can. : P

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 06:10PM

ExMorgbot Wrote:
> You can't get Goldfish with WIC
> vouchers....Cheerios you can. : P

Aha! Learn something new every day!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.