Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 09:49AM

This is an excellent article. It is written from a Catholic point of view and while I'm agnostic and not Catholic, the points made in this essay are clear and concise.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Problems_with_the_Book_of_Mormon.asp

Example:

"If the Book of Mormon contains all the ordinances and principles that pertain to the gospel, why don’t Mormonism’s esoteric doctrines show up in it? The doctrine that God is nothing more than an "exalted man with a body of flesh and bones" appears nowhere in the Book of Mormon. Nor does the doctrine of Jesus Christ being the "spirit brother" of Lucifer. Nor do the doctrines that men can become gods and that God the Father has a god above him, who has a god above him, ad infinitum."

[Nor does it contain any reference to the acceptability of polygamy.]

"The Book of Mormon fails on three main counts. First, it utterly lacks historical or archaeological support, and there is an overwhelming body of empirical evidence that refutes it. Second, the Book of Mormon contains none of the key Mormon doctrines. This is important to note because the Latter-Day Saints make such a ballyhoo about it containing the "fullness of the everlasting gospel." (It would be more accurate to say it contains almost none of their "everlasting gospel" at all.) Third, the Book of Mormon abounds in textual errors, factual errors, and outright plagiarisms from other works."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 09:56AM

The Bible is rife with these same problems and Catholicism's weird doctrines are exactly found there. Where in the Bible does it say we should worship Mary or pray to her? How about some Biblical condom advice? Religion is just so stupid.

Date: December 02, 2010 10:00AM

Still, the writer's analysis re: "The Book of Mormon" makes good sense to me.

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:05AM

I definitely understand and agree with all of this points. BUT the Catholic Church really has balls to try to attack the BoM.

Transubstantiation anyone....?

"Chunk of Jesus thigh on aisle one!"

"Left nipple for me dear sir!"

"Oh! Oh! I want a toe!"

That is just messed up.

Date: December 02, 2010 11:14AM

Would that an atheist had written that.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:35AM

One might ask- since this is the law and the gospel, was JSjr destroyed for leading the church astray in later years? Did rejection of teachings in the Book of Mormon and the defiling of plain and precious truths lead to the church as it now stands?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.