Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 07:55PM

I spend most of my time hashing over the past or worrying about the future. I am seldom in the present. So, I'm thinking this would be a good time to stop that.

Anything on your mind?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 08:16PM

I don't know if you have read it, its called "Be Here Now" by Babba Ram Dass. I first read it about 35 years ago, and it helped me look at things differently, mayb it will help you.

Date: September 26, 2010 08:27PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 08:53PM

I put it on my Facebook Status today. I liked it, so I shared it.

One day at a time--this is enough.
Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come.
Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. - Author Unknown

Posted by: Joe's Buried Treasure ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 05:58AM

I really need to start thinking about just living in the present more often. I think too much about where I'm going in my life. It's really hard for me to just be in the moment around people at work and such because of it. If I didn't always have to contemplate how I'm going to make my escape from the church, I would be able to be self-actualized more often. You should really check out the video on self-actualization on youtube. It really spells it out. I was inspired and I think you will be too.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 07:45AM

that's the title of a book by jon kabat-zinn, it's about mindfulness - a method of living fully in the moment without judgement.

i really like kabat-zinn's cd-set 'Guided Mindfulness Meditation', which encloses a guided body scan meditation cd, 2 mindful yoga cds and a sitting meditation cd.

i've stumbled across jon kabat-zinn's 'Full Catastrophe Living' about 4 years ago. at a time where i nearly lost my mind through terrible pains (lost 60 pounds in 2 months - no diet ;-) - just pain 24/7). pain killers didn't work, only the adverse effects ;-) ... 'lucky me'... so i started with mindfulness meditation, which really helped me to continue to live ....

for those, who just want to learn how to meditate, the book 'Meditation Week by Week: 52 Meditations to Help You Grow in Peace and Awareness' by david fontana is a nice little and easy entrance. the german title of this book is 'Das Leben atmen'. apropos german: amazon.com has no look inside function for this book, but the german amazon.de allows an insight into the english version.

as for jon kabat-zinn and 'his' stress reduction clinic ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 08:02AM

I've always liked this one in a similar vein, from a song by Kevin Ayers (late of the group which gave me my pseudionym):

"I've always thought that the best we can do
Is to know where we are and be there."

Another nice one of his may also strike a chord among exMos:

"A lot of things can happen when you're walking down the street
And it never fails to amaze me the people that you meet.
They all say "See you later", but I just answer "How?
How will you see me later if you can't see me now?"

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 09:23AM

If you're not living in the present are you really living?

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:28AM

to remember that you--yourself, WCG--have handled a lot of problems. In fact, you have handled (and are handling) ALL of your problems, some more gracefully than others, but you've done it.

What your life has shown you so far is that you are capable of handling WHATEVER life tosses your way. That's the real security, isn't it?

I think worry steals our imagination about how we can approach problems and it doesn't really change anything in real life. So, I hope you can take heart from the example of your own history!

Date: September 27, 2010 11:47AM

I know things will work out ok. I do meditate, which has helped enormously. I do this meditation that incorporates Yoga, Tai Chi, Ballet and Zen meditation. When I first started, back in March, I could only sit and lift my arms with great effort, over my head. Now, I do all these weird positions and with dumbells. Getting stronger seems to help me realize that my mind needs a little work-out too.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.