Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 09:58AM

We all know that Mormons crave to be admired for all their fine qualities. They imagine themselves as lights unto the world, as shining examples, as living testimonies of the wonderfulness of the One True Church.

And right now there's the additional belief among the saints that Mitt Romney will show even more people how fantastic Mormons are.

But it's not working.

The Washington Post and ABC News released a poll comparing the public's perception of the personality attributes of Romney and Obama. On three traits that Mormon try hard to cultivate -- honesty/trustworthiness, standing for beliefs, and being admired, Romney loses by ten points or more to Obama. (In fact, the president leads Mitt in all categories.)

So, go ahead, Mitt, be the missionary-in-chief for Mormon manhood and priesthood authority. Waffle, flip-flop, dodge, bluster, lie...

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11245621-a-severe-crisis-of-popularity

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:41AM

Thank Mormon Gawd.

I appreciate the marvelous work and a wonder Brother Romney is doing to bring so many Mormon issues to a broader audience, but I would hate for him to actually win. That might bring him some respect and by association perhaps a modicum of respect for his religion.

I don't think these are liabilities he can overcome unless he has a personality transplant. On a larger level this the best the Red Party has to offer? I sense that they need to go to ground to reform their platform. Older party members are dying off and younger folks don't espouse their same values. There is no way something like Proposition 8 would pass 10 or 20 years from now as attitudes are shifting.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:31AM

Actually you are wrong conservatism is growing. Romney never got a majority, he just got the largest number of votes. If you combined Santorum, Gingrich and Ron Paul's votes into one candidate, Romney would have lost. The establishment wants Romney, because he supports corporations and the rich, over the US Constitution, Bill of Rights and freedom.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:57AM

Perhaps among the GOP, but it's all kind of moot unless the GOP can gain more cohesion. On top of that unless they can gain marketshare among the general population they won't get their candidate in office. Shifting demographics (like a decreasingly white America) does not favor them.

Also I would call Ron Paul more of a libertarian than a conservative.

Date: April 18, 2012 11:16AM

...when Santorum dropped out, he had 262 delegates, Gingrich 136 and Paul 60 -- which adds up to only 458 for the Anyone-But-Romney candidates. Romney had 684.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/delegates

Sure, the raw vote in any state never gave Mitt a majority (except in one, I think) and that might measure the amount of voter support, yet because of the various state and national GOP rules, delegates are seldom awarded proportionately. So if, in a winner-takes-all state, the candidate with the most votes only wins a plurality, tough luck to the also-rans.

It could be that the GOP establishment wanted Romney because he's sympathetic to their interests. But it could also be that they know you can't attract the moderate, unaffiliated voters needed to win the general election by running a candidate way over on the right.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:59AM

Just like with the Olympic Games, this will turn into another black eye.

It seems the Lord never blesses any Mormon endeavors, large or small, in families or in the public arena.

There is no "power in the priesthood", and being Mormon does not confer the ability to change anything or anyone.

Mormonism is an illusion. Knowing this by now, the old con men in SLC chase money.
Because money, after all, is tangible and real.

Date: April 17, 2012 12:33PM

Glo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems the Lord never blesses any Mormon
> endeavors, large or small, in families or in the
> public arena.

This reminds me of a thought I had back when I was a good Mormon kid. Back then there was a show named "The College Bowl." It was an academic quiz show between teams from two universities. If you won, you moved on to the next week. If you won five weeks in a row, you were crowned a champion. Naturally, we were all excited when the BYU team was on. They won the first four weeks and we wee certain they would win the fifth week so everyone would know what a great the Lord's University and Mormons were. But they lost. I decided the Lord made them lose so they would remain humble. Yeah, that was it.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 11:04AM

Mitt could close that gender gap. If the electorate doesn't find him trustworthy, anything he says to appeal to women will be held as suspect.

Date: April 17, 2012 12:37PM

I could go and cause trouble.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:43AM

well since Tom (welch) went down we've been going out of our heads
we cant seem to put this olympic scandal to bed
oh romney you look so fine
and I know it would nt take much time
for you to help us, Romney, help us get a brand new start.

Help us, Romney. help, help us, Romney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnbn7dJlwxc

Posted by: yep ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:09AM

Help us, Mormon God.
President Thomas S. Monson/Mitt Romney 2012 ♥ !!!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:44AM

Mormons yell, "we're not a cult!"

Others point out the temple ceremonies, or shunning, or inconsistencies, or whatever.

Mormons cry "persecution," or "unfair." "We're not a cult, but how wrong of you to point out our hidden, cultish antics and lies."

The rest of the reading population become leery of mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.