Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 03:15PM

Take for instance this guy, a Canadian lawyer, whose bio proudly states his Mormon affiliation. I'm surprised, in that with the Internet, I would think many a Mormon professional is slinking away from his or her association with Mormonism.

Guess not all - http://www.foundationforourchildren.org/s__baker_qc.htm

Mind you, this guy's nearly 80

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 03:30PM

It read like an obituary.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 03:33PM

Someone needs to teach him how to use capital letters.

Every time I hear of a foundation with such a name, I think of Helen Lovejoy shrieking, "Think of the Children! Won't somebody please think of the children?"

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 03:34PM

It is not surprising. Have you heard the expression; "I have one brain for Sunday, and one for the rest of the week." ?

Religion, especially the religion someone grew up in is hard to shake. If you personally haven't had a bad experience with it, and have a nice life you might hold onto it even if the doctrine is questionable. A life's worth of indoctrination is hard to overcome.

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 10:30AM

Yeah, somewhat like Romney, this guy got a good education early on and had decent job and income - and thus never really suffered as many average church members do, so for him, Mormonism was not an issue.

I almost think some well to do Mormons also don't mind because the tithing they pay covers a charitable donation which eases their tax burden, and they don't have to think at all about which charity to give to. It's a decision they don't have to make.

The thing that bothers me about people with a good education who remain Mormons is they must know that it's fraudulent, but stick with it. In doing so, their so-called integrity flies out the window.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.