Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:38AM

The semester is over, and I am leaving YBU for good and transferring to another university. While I WILL be happy to leave, I will miss parts of it. YBU/Provo have become so familiar to me that it will be an adjustment. As much as the mormon aspect stinks, I think Utah is a great place. I am so incredibly excited to be FREE of LDS inc.!!! No more boring church. I can finally drink tea, alcohol, and maybe even coffee in peace. What a wonderful thing.

On another note, I am going videotape me burning my scriptures. I won't show my face out of fear that my credits could be revoked, but I can't wait to do this..mostly for my own satisfaction...haha...I will post the video on here so I can share my joy and victory with all of you.

Hooray!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elysiannevermo ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:44AM

If you do this, I would recommend making a new youtube account along with new email with nothing tied to you. There are ways to find people through Youtube usernames and such, esp if there are ties.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:44AM

Too bad you can't get someone to give you an un baptism.

Enjoy your trip out. Don't do anything crazy until you have your manuscripts in hand.

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 03:16AM

Actually, there are some groups (pagans usually, sometimes just atheist friends) who will gather together with about 10 hair dryers, and "dry off" your baptism, to essentially "unbaptise" you from whatever religion you were made a member of.

I've known someone who did it, and even though it didn't erase the baptism from history, it was one of those, "like a weight was lifted off my shoulders" moments.

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:21AM

Oh yeah you're right. My credits have been transferred. I am officially no longer a student at YBU!

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:45AM

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:01AM

In a church that claims that the U.S. Constitution is inspired by God, why should a person have to worry about expressing their feelings?

If freedom of speech and of expression is only allowed when it conforms to the power base, then it is not freedom in any way. It is authoritarianism, and makes a mockery of the idea of men being children of God , because what they really want is children of the church not children of a thoughtful, loving God.

Every thing about BYU and how they hold students transcripts hostage to control actions, thoughts and speech is un-American and disgusting.

I guess it would be fair to ask if there is a single action taken by the "day to day' church that is emblematic of their feel good doctrine that is preached for public relation operations.

Pray tell -- How does a religion of God justify punitive actions towards his children?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:01AM

BE careful what clothes you have on too. If one suspects it is you they can say..."Yep, those are the jeans he always wears" or something else. Best wishes. YOU will be happier where you have freedom to speak and act as you wish and you don't have to prove anything to anyone unless you want to.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:19AM

congrats!

yeah, like many others pointed out, avoid anything that would allow them to track you down...including voice.

it's a cult. you have every reason to be afraid of them.

looking forward to seeing that video.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:32AM

ymountain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On another note, I am going videotape me burning
> my scriptures. I won't show my face out of fear
> that my credits could be revoked, but I can't wait
> to do this..mostly for my own
> satisfaction...haha...I will post the video on
> here so I can share my joy and victory with all
> of you.

I bought a triple combination and the then new MORmON cross referenced bible as my scripture set for *my* (my parent's and my cult's) full time misson. I really hated my mission.
WHen I finally realized that MORmONISM is a load of BS, I really wanted to burn that LDS scripture set.
They were a prime symbol of the MORmON burden that I had been afflicted with. I did not get around to burning them. Since then, tHey have come in remarkably handy for looking up references to jam down MORmON'S throats and put them in their MORmON place. Yes my Book of MORmON does in fact say "white & delightsome, much to their chagrin. I do know my scriptures and MORmONS don't like it, even as I do know my scriptures and MORmONS are totally full of CRAP!

best wishes on your new life free of MORmON bonage.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:37AM

Have fun with the bonfire! DW and I didn't do anything ceremonious, we just threw it ALL away.

Posted by: anonough ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 08:06AM

I know this is only my opinion but if I were you I'd wrap up your scriptures and store them away for future reference. Sort of like a time capsule. Take them out in 25-30 years and compare them with the then modern day version. Who knows what you will discover. Especially if you store away a triple or quad combination. Possible changes could be BOA-GONE! New revelations for homosexual rights within the church or women getting ordained to the priesthood. May sound far fetched but just looking back in time even from today one can see all sorts of changes. I have an old BOM and have actually read and saw with my own eyes there in front of me in black and white, not correction, but deception. Mormonisms never ending evolution into the mainstream.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 08:14AM

Keeping your church stuff safely stored away makes sense to me. Somewhere down the road you may want to refer to it and you will be glad to have it. It is a kind of archive of an important period in your life.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 09:09AM

They can withhold a transcript if you owe them money, or if you fraudulently enrolled, say, as another person (it happens). I believe those are the only reasons for which a transcript can be withheld.

Here's what they can do: if you are disciplined by LDS Inc, or violate their so-called Honor Code, they may (and likely will) take courses in which you are enrolled at the time of the infraction and beyond off your transcript, provided you are still a BYU student at the time. Unless a disciplinary action is already in process when you leave, I am pretty sure your transcript is safe from modification once you have left, except in extraordinary circumstances, such as fraud.

BYU also cannot take back a degree once it has been granted. They can and have, however, refused to grant a degree in the case of Chad Hardy, who got himself exed for that soft-core beefcake missionary calendar. He had already finished all his coursework, but had not yet had the graduation ceremony which is when the degree is officially granted. (You don't have to attend the ceremony, but that is when you are officially graduated, not when you finish your last final exam, or get your last grades).

So, all you really need to do is not get your membership sanctioned while you are still attending BYU, or until your graduation, if you have completed the requirements for graduation, and don't leave owing them money. If you do owe them money, pay the outstanding bill, and you will be able to get copies of your transcript.

I've heard people claim that BYU will block your transfer to another school if you become a religious persona non grata to them. Nonsense. It is the school you transfer to that decides whether to accept you or not. The school you transfer from has no say in the matter. And again, BYU can't refuse to send your transcript, except for the usual reasons (debt, fraudulent enrollment).

I spent three years on the admissions and academic standing committee of a university, which deals with admissions, including all transfers into the university, all academic suspensions and probations, and appeals of suspensions, and appeals to be readmitted to the university. I am very familiar with what the registrar's office can and can't do to a student. Unless the BYU catalog says that a transcript can be withheld for resigning or getting booted out of LDS Inc, they can't do it (and it doesn't say that - I checked).

Not that I expect this urban myth to die. People just want to believe BYU withholds transcripts of exmo students. I'm sure if they could, they would, but they can't.

Oh, and congrats on moving on. I toughed it out and graduated, after I finally admitted openly that it was all BS at the beginning of my last year there. Not fun. Almost got myself expelled, so I have seen the process from that side too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 09:20AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 09:17AM

Keeping scriptures makes no more sense than lugging around a print copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica - it's just more crap to clutter up your residence, and to box up when you move. The internet has largely made reference books obsolete.

Posted by: anonough ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:00AM

Good points about internet referencing Brother Of Jerry but I would hardly say that one book of LDS sripture would clutter up a residence. I guess I get a little paranoid about who has got the power to say what gets or stays posted on the internet. Over time I believe things tend to disappear there, depending on who weilds the most power and money to control information flow. I remember when I first started investigating mormonism via the internet and it seemed relatively easy to type in google requests and go to reputable sites and read and discover away! Flash forward a year or so later and the church had bought up so much google space that I would have to go through numerous web pages to get to something not sponsered by the church in defense mode. But like I said, I'm probably just a bit paranoid. To me, hard copies are just more tangible and just there right in front of you. And it's also a great tool when faced with a TBM that proclaims that people can post any kind of "anti-mormon" lies on the internet. Just pull out the book and ask them to refute that.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:26AM

Things get revised and "corrected" far too often. Just utter "I don't know that we teach that" and suddenly core doctrine just disappears.

It may not make a difference to a TBM that you have a physical, hardcopy of the BS but at least you can say "Here it is!"

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:28AM

Bonus points if you can get away with burning them in the middle of the quad, or at the feet of Brigham's statue. Watch out, though, the campus police patrol even at night.

Posted by: sistermary ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:30PM

I've heard that they often won't send transcripts of apostates. Just in case you need it down the road, make sure you have one.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:36PM

Put a paper bag over your head, draw a face on it, and call yourself... THE UNKNOWN APOSTATE!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.