Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:44AM

In another thread, RfM poster "Marylou" wrote:

"Hinckley may not have been a whistleblower but it seems to me he tipped his hand when he decided to seek treatment for his cancer at age 95. I would think someone with a firm testimony would be anxious to get to the other side to be reunited with his wife. No, not him. Spend thousands of dollars and be sick with treatments just to last another month or two. He was either scared to death of what was waiting on the other side or he knew full well nothing was waiting for him."

("Re: DONT YOU GET IT. HINCKLEY WAS THE WHISTLEBLOWER," posted by "Marylou," on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 17 April 2012, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,477562,477714#msg-477714)
_____

From the public press accounts issued by the Mormon Church in the wake of Gordon B. Hinckley's death, the faithfully uninformed would certainly reach the conclusion that their divinely-cradled prophet, seer and revelator died--as the Morg(ue) put it in both its website press release and through its house organ, the "Deseret News"--from causes "incident to age."

That was certainly the official line on LDS Net Central:

". . . Church president [Hinckley] died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE. Members of his family were at his bedside."

Then this, to top it all off:

"Style guide note: When reporting about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please use the complete name of the Church in the first reference. For more information on the use of the name of the Church, go to our online style guide."

("Beloved Church President, Gordon B. Hinckley, Dies at 97," 27 January 2008, author(s) unnamed, in "Newsroom: The Official Church Resource for News Media, Opinion Leaders, and the Public," emphasis added)

Singing the same song and using essentially the same words, the Church's parrot publication, the "Deseret News," solemnly announced:

"President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through explosive growth during his more than 12 years as president, died 7 p.m. Sunday at home of CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE, surrounded by family. He was 97."

OK, OK, enough already. We get it. The Morg(ue) says Hinckley died because of CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE.

("LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley Dies at Age 97: LDS president Met Call with Humility, Vigor," "by the Deseret Morning News staff," in "Deseret News," Sunday, 27 January 2008. emphasis added)

But didn't it all seem a bit too insistent, too repetitive, too canned? Indeed, the "Deseret News" appeared to have gone out of its way to assure the faithful that Hinckley died a happy, healthy man--at least for his age (that is, before dying of CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE):

"Two years ago this month, he underwent laparoscopic surgery to remove colon cancer. While a traditional colectomy requires five to eight days in the hospital and an at-home recovery of at least six weeks, the laparoscopic surgery hospital stay is usually two to four days and individuals can often return to work in two or three weeks.

"True to form for the energetic, globe-trotting leader, President Hinckley flew to Chile two months later in March 2006 to rededicate the Chilean temple. During the ceremonies, he alluded to his recent operation, quipping he would not recommend it to anyone.

"'President Hinckley was at his best," Elder L. Tom Perry of the Council of the Twelve said moments after the first dedication session adjourned. 'He conducted the entire session. Gave the dedicatory prayer. You wouldn't know he had ever been ill. His vigor was absolutely amazing.'

"His health has been the topic of speculation off and on among Church members ever since, particularly during semi-annual General Conferences of the church held each April and October. Less than a month after his Chilean trip in 2006, he stood at the podium in the LDS Conference Center during the Sunday morning session of the 176th annual General Conference and--in a rare departure from his usual sermons on gospel topics--reflected on his personal life.

"The speech was widely considered by members as a farewell of sorts that he was able to deliver personally. He mentioned his age frequently in public during the last five years of his life, almost as a way of preparing church members for his death and assuring them he was at peace with whatever timing would be his. After the death of his wife, Marjorie, in 2004, he periodically spoke movingly of missing her.

"More recently, President Hinckley presided and spoke at the August funeral of his beloved second counselor, President James E. Faust, noting the sadness that his passing meant to him personally. He spoke again publicly during October's semi-annual general conference, but delivered fewer and shorter speeches than he had previously done during the two-day event.

"He presided and offered brief remarks at the funeral of Sister Inis Hunter in late October, then spoke again during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional in December at the Conference Center, in what would be his last major public address. He sent a message that was read by President Thomas S. Monson, first counselor in the First Presidency, at the funeral of billionaire businessman and philanthropist James Sorenson last week."

(LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley Dies at Age 97: LDS President Met Call with Humility, Vigor," in "Deseret News," 27 January 2008, emphasis added)

And then he suddenly up and died.

Why was that, do you suppose?

Now, some backstory information that, as far as I know, was not necessarily reported through the general-consumption media.

In stark contrast to the Mormon Church's carefully-crafted-and-approved-for-publication version of events, I have been informed on good authority that Hinckley didn't die from old age itself but, rather, from the destructive effects of chemotherapy resulting from his treatment for colon cancer.

I was told, in other words, that Hinckley's sudden decline (where he went from actively communicating and waving his cane around to a rapid slide into death), resulted not from being 97 years old. It was (so this alternative version of events goes), from succumbing to the adverse effects of medical treatment he received from those assigned the task of killing his cancer.

What may have possibly happened instead was the killing of the Lord's prophet. If so, then it must have been God's will.

In fact, the Mormon Church-owned weekly newspaper supplement, the "Church News," did acknowledge that Hinckley had been receiving chemotherapy treatments for his cancer. That fact, however, was not reported in the wake of his death until several days after he had breathed his last:

"After a long life of dedicated service to God and his fellowman, President Gordon B. Hinckley died Jan. 27 of CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE. He was 97. . . .

"President Hinckley ended his mortal journey Sunday at 7 p.m. in his apartment, surrounded by his five children and other family members. In past months the beloved Church leader had lost strength, making fewer appearances and most recently using a wheelchair, though not entirely giving up his well-employed cane. . . .

"His dedication of the Utah State Capitol Jan. 4 was his last public appearance. He kept up with his daily work schedule until the last week of his life.

"Two years ago, on Jan. 24, 2006, he underwent laparoscope surgery in a bout with cancer of the large intestine. Although he recovered well and completed the subsequent chemotherapy, on Tuesday, Jan. 22, he underwent what was called a 'follow-up chemotherapy.' A day or two later, he began feeling weaker. On Friday, Jan. 25, at the funeral of LDS inventor and philanthropist James L. Sorenson, President Thomas S. Monson, first counselor in the First Presidency, announced that President Hinckley was not feeling well. After that, he continued to decline. . . .

"On Nov. 2, 2007, he became the longest-lived president of the Church, which by then had a membership of 13 million."

Hmmmmmm. Nothing like giving chemotherapy to a 97-year-old to end that "longest-living" record thing.

(John L. Hart, "Church News" associate editor, "President Hinckley Ends Mortal Journey: Life Marked by Testimony, Vigor, Personal Warmth and Courage," in "Church News," 2 February 2008, emphasis added)

Interestingly enough, I was also told that, according to inside family sources, Hinckley actually died that Sunday afternoon around 3 p.m., although his reported time of death was announced in the Mormon-owned press as having occurred some four hours later. What accounts for that seeming discrepancy--if it actually is one--I don't know. Where's the Holy Ghost when you need it?

(The above information, by the way, came to me from someone who was in a position to know the Hinckley family with some degree of personal familiarity).

Could it be that Hinckley actually died not of old age, per se, but of CAUSES INCIDENT TO CHEMOTHERAPY?

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 05:27AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:59AM

I can't tell you how often I've been told that only the unrighteous and those lacking in faith get sick. This was pointed out to me more than once when I had cancer.

That would be why the church wouldn't want anyone to know if he died of cancer. He's supposed to be more righteous and have more faith than anyone on earth. It would never do to have him die of an illness that the unrighteous, faithless, masses do.

I wish I would have know about his illness. There are a couple people I would have approached and asked them why the prophet died of cancer and I didn't. Obviously I'm more righteous, and have more faith. Who knew?

Posted by: marisa ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:00AM

My brother-in-law is an oncologist. He doesn't talk a whole lot about his success rate, but his wife has told me that of his patients who do succumb, it's usually to the effects of aggressive treatment rather than to cancer itself. Still, I assume she's not talking about his 97-year-old patients. Why in the world would anyone give the preemptive strike an extra round of chemo to a 97-year-old?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:24AM

Posted by: Exmo Dad ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:03AM

Very likely, Steve. they always seem to want to paint a rosy picture. Even in my own TBM family, an elderly gentleman passed on due to two very serious illnesses, but everyone in the TBM family focused on the 3rd, "less embarassing" reason for his death.

Posted by: Dufreyne ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:04AM

97 years old? He's allowed to die of old age for pete's sake. Give it a rest Benson. Perhaps he did have colon cancer and perhaps he did receive chemotx. So what? Are you suggesting that his age had nothing to do with his demise? Are you suggesting it was a big conspiracy that the LDS church used the phrase "causes incident to age"? Good lord, the man was 97! Are they supposed to release autopsy pictures and not emphasize his age? Give me a break...

Date: April 18, 2012 01:40AM

If you don't want some historical background, don't read, Doof.

Go to bed and get some rest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 01:57AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Anon this time, regular poster ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:59AM

Or maybe it was a wacky relative.

Posted by: Anon this time, regular poster ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:00AM

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:07AM

I am struggling to see how, if true, this story undermines Mormonism. Sorry, but this just seems trivial to me in light of all the truly damaging things the church has done.

Date: April 18, 2012 01:43AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 01:43AM by steve benson.

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 06:59AM

Honestly I love juicy Mormon gossip that highlights the failing of Mormon leadership but I guess what I am trying to say is that I didn't get that with this gossip. It just made me go 'meh.' but in light of all the truly worthwhile and interesting gossip you have provided over the years, I'll let this one pass. :)

Date: April 18, 2012 01:38AM

In 2006, Utah media, as well as news organizations in other locations were with increasing focus following up on the possibility that Hinckley's health had taken a signfiicant turn for the worse. This ramped-up attention came amid reports at the time that Hinckley had been operated on for colon cancer, that he was recovering comfortably from said surgery and that he would be resuming a full schedule shortly.

In the wake of these announcements, the Mormon Church's official news releases were both vague and upbeat on the matter of Hinckley's reported condition.

However, one RfM poster, "Schraevus," posted on this board about a so-called "Mormon e-mail" being circulated which reported that Hinckley's health is in serious jeopardy and that this might be his last General Conference:

"Just got this from a TBM friend. Nothing quite as juicy as GA relatives gossip.

"I was talking with my friend in North Salt Lake this morning. He lives in a ward with 3 Apostles and the Stake President is Elder Ballard's son-in-law. They had Stake Conference this past Sunday and Elder Ballard, who just had both knees replaced, came and spoke.

"Among other things, Apostle Ballard said that General Conference this April (2006) may well be our last chance to hear Pres. Hinckley speak. He said that Pres. Hinckley is suffering from a very serious illness and that, much like King Benjamin gathering his people around to address them one last time, we would do well to listen as intently as the people of that time. It is sad to think that we may lose President Hinckley soon but thought it would be good to know this and treat his testimony even more reverently."

("This Just in on Mo E-mail," post by "Schraevus," on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 31 March 2006)

Around this same time, I subsequently spoke with a source pf my own, who informed me that Hinckley has cancer and that his family was flying in from all over the country to be with him during General Conference.

When I asked if the Hinckley family normally comes in to be with their patriarch at Conference time, I was informed that a gathering by his family of this magnitude is unusual and that requests were being made to have Hinckley family members come who are outside Hinckley's immediate (i.e., nuclear) family circle.

I was informed of Hinckley's situation (and his family's response to it) as I inquired of the source about reports of Ballard's reported acknowledgment that Hinckley has a very serious illness and that this may be the last time he is at General Conference.

In response to those reports, I was told that Hinckley's serious illness was, in fact, cancer and that his family is coming in from far and wide.

Based on what my source told me at the time (if proven accurate), it seemed that things did not look good for Hinckley.

Subsequent to these and other RfM postings, an investigative source in the news media (who covers these matters for a living) contacted me, inquiring on Hinckley's health and making a few observations, along with noting that the media was in a state of increased alert concerning the subject of Hinckley's health.

The observations included the following:

--Hinckley was scheduled to, but ended up not kicking off, April Conference with his own, planned opening remarks.

--Several glowing references to Hinckley were subsequently made by other Conference speakers.

--Several glowing references were likewise made by other Conference speakers to Monson (Hinckley's heir apparent).

--While Hinckley had assured the Mormon faithful that his obituary should not be written just yet and that he planed on attending this year's October Conference, there had been acknowledgment by the Church that Hinckley was suffering residual effects from his cancer operation. Elements of the media were on heightened alert to the possibility that if, in fact, Hinckley has cancer (particularly if he was suffering from a fast-spreading kind related to the colon), he might not make it to the following October, despite his assurances otherwise.

--Continuing investigative efforts were being made by the media to confirm accounts that Hinckley's health was reportedly in a state of significant decline and that he may not be around much longer.

--The media was aware of the RfM board's on-going discussions on Hinckley's health and regards this site as a source of potentially valuable information.

Below is a summation concerning Hinckley's condition during this period--which wasn't good--and which, despite Hinckley's public comments, appeared to possibly be a matter of some institutionalized cover-up by the Mormon Church:

--Hinckley Admitted He Was On His Last Legs

On Sunday, April 2nd, 2006, Hinckley informed his General Conference audience that he was in the final chapters of his life, as reported by the "Associated Press":

"SALT LAKE CITY--Mormon church president Gordon B. Hinckley said on Sunday he is in the 'sunset of my life' and suffering from some residual health problems after undergoing major surgery earlier this year.

"'I am totally in the hands of the Lord,' Hinckley said, addressing the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the second day of the faith's twice-yearly conference.

"Hinckley, 95, was hospitalized in January after doctors discovered a cancerous growth on his intestine during what was called a routine medical examination. He had surgery and spent nearly a week in the hospital recovering.

Hinckley, now in his 11th year as church president, has acknowledged he is slowing down with age. But he also made it clear that his sense of humor is as sharp as ever and that he didn't want church members to over-interpret his health concerns.

"'I trust you will not regard this as an obituary,' he said, drawing a laugh. "Rather I look forward to the opportunity of speaking to you again in October."

--Despite an Earlier Operation for Colon Cancer, Hinckley Still Had Cancer

Actually, it was no laughing matter and his condition appeared to involve more than just residual after-effects of his previous surgery for colon cancer.

Again, as a reliable source informed me, Hinckley was suffering at that time from cancer and, due to the serious nature of his condition, his family had gathered from across the country in an unusual move to be with him at Conference

I was been informed that, according to sources in medical circles, Hinckley definitely had cancer. However, the claims of these sources had, I am told, yet to be reliably confirmed.

--Hinckley's Condition Was Met with Silence from the Mormon Church

According to a source with whom I was in contact and who was closely following developments on Hinckley's health, the Mormon Church released a statement on Hinckley's condition in which it said, essentially, that Hinckley has nothing more to say (at that moment, at least) about his physical condition.

--The LDS Church Denounced Internet Chat About What Was Reportedly Being Disseminated in Mormon Church Meetings

According to this same source, the same Mormon Church statement also decried Internet chat, warning Latter-day Saints not to spread information they believe they have heard in Mormon church settings. This was interesting in light of the reported comments made by Apostle Ballard in a stake conference relating to Hinckley's seriously declining heath.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 01:54AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Brother Fred ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 03:00AM

I remember his "me, arn't I great talk" in April of 2006. It struck me as way over the top. Then after his talk I think it was during the morning session on Sunday, I took a picture of Hinckley and Monson crying like babies wiping their eyes with handkerchiefs during the closing prayer. I mean it was hard deep cry with deep emotion coming out like this is it the game is over. I can't get into his head but it struck me as a little scared. I thought at the time isn't he prophet and shouldn't he be looking forward to the next life and his crown of glory? I always felt Hinckley felt better at being President of the church then Prophet and that deep down inside he knew it was a sham.

What is interesting is his talk in priesthood, I think in 2004 or 03 that the church was true (first vision, BOM, Priesthood) or we are a fraud was the final thing that fully pushed me out. I remembering his saying those words and my heart sunk as I lost all hope for answers and middle ground because I Knew it was a fraud.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 05:50AM

QUOTE "I always felt Hinckley felt better at being President of the church then Prophet and that deep down inside he knew it was a sham."

THATS THE MIRACLE OF IT !

(why would you think that, besides thats the way Hinckley acted!) Hinckley said in Gen conference that the Joe Smith story seemed preposterous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWknakABlfc

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 05:53AM

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 04:47AM

"Causes incident to age" isn't a diagnosis nor can it be used as the cause of death on a death certificate. Drs. have to be very specific as to what actually killed the patient on the death certificate. Just "old age" doesn't cut it for the records but families continue to use it in obituaries.

For example:

Cause of death:
Weight loss, anorexia, nausea and debility. Onset___ years, due to or as a consequence of: liver, retroperitoneal and lung metastasis, due to metastatic carcinoma of the large bowel and colon onset______years(or months)

If one could see hinckley's death certificate, which I think is public information, one could see the specifics of his death.

Several years ago one of the general authorities preached that members shouldn't prolong life artificially & that members should not be afraid of death because of our knowledge of life after death. I haven't heard that mentioned much anymore. When I see all those old old men on the stand at GC it is obvious they don't really believe it. Packer looked horrible.

Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 08:52AM

Hinkley did what most people would do and that is to fight for every additional second to stay alive.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 06:16AM

I don't get it.

Why did Hinckley need chemotherapy when his two counsellors had the Priesthood...?

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 08:05AM

Exactly. Why indeed? And why was The Church claiming "old age" and hiding the chemo treatment? It's just one more example of their tendency to manage the information that comes to the members. They want them to think he's prepared to go when it's time and that the prophet trusts in the Lord. It's all BS. He wanted to hang on to life as much as most people. Sounds like he tried everything right until the end. He had no special insight that it was his time to go. That doesn't fit the image of the prophet that we were taught as Mormons. Old age does.

Also, just one more example of how the PR department has no problem with massaging the truth. Sure he was old, but that wasn't the major cause of death. They were prevaricating, which we were all taught in Sunday school was wrong.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 08:18AM

I believe the whole premise falls back on what most of the holy roller churches believe. Name it and claim it. I work with a lady like this. She names it and claims it all the time and guess what: Her colds still take about 5-7 days to get over. People still die of cancer at her church.
When they N&C it and someone dies, then they spin the 'healing' to well, now they are healed with the Lord.
The discretion used with Hinckley I would think has something to do with the priesthood. "natural causes" takes away all of the blessings that he rcvd as to not "out" that somebody probably pronounced, within said blessing, that he would beat the cancer. The big 12 that gave those blessings "know" (sounds like testimony meeting, doesn't it) OH WAIT, maybe what they knew is not how it worked out. Now what? "He died of causes related to age."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 09:08AM

Maybe TSM and buddies needed time to draft and autopen some GBH signatures on important documents transferring wealth/property/who knows what to themselves.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 09:11AM

His long wait to sit in the big chair was finally over. "Whee! I outlasted the old fart! Break out the champagne! Bring in some hookers! I gotta celebrate!"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 09:51AM

Wouldn't a church leader be thrilled to be moving on--especially if you KNEW and that your beloved wife was already gone?

I had a SP uncle who was scared as hell to die (his daughter told me)--He hung on and hung on. He was 87 or so.

My mom died in December a few years back--we had no clue it was coming that soon. My dad had been much sicker than her for a long time, but he kept hanging on. Two months later, my dad left. We knew it was coming. Every day between when my mom died and he died--he couldn't wait to be with her. My dad wasn't your typical TBM if you could call him that at all. He was just a good man. He was not afraid to die--and neither was my mother.

What a drastic difference. And my parents were not "resuscitated." And they died hwen they were alone and I have a good idea why.

But then I also watched Hinckley's funeral--after my daughter had made the statement of she loved him so much. That really disturbed me--and so I watched. NOT EVEN ONE spiritual experience. Nothing miraculous--not even close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 09:51AM by cl2.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 10:10AM

It is not normal for people who are in their 90s to be treated with aggressive chemotherapy for cancer. My brother's MIL was in her 80s and had breast cancer and they would not let her have chemo, instead they gave her a drug they thought would "slow" the growth of cancer.

These types of cases illustrate a two tiered level of response to health issues in our society. One for "us" and one for the "important" people.

BTW, I had heard, in the news that he had cancer and had been receiving chemo, so I don't know why this is all news.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 11:39AM

Kept him going long past the point of kindness and humanity. That is just like that church--keep wringing every bit out of someone long past exhaustion . . . or death.

Posted by: hk112358 ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:08PM

I spoke to a family member after hearing of Hinckley's son tell the story that the oncologist "had never treated anyone in their nineties with chemo", that Hinckley insisted he "needed to do everything he could to stay alive."
The details are not as clear when I confirmed them but they included something like Hinckley starting chemo on a Monday, being so sick on the following Thursday that he sat in his chair and said he was "through". That was his last day in the office and he died on that Sunday from chemotherapy poisioning.
Physician-assisted suicide, almost.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 12:22PM

He tried to crap out a diamond,
But all he could manage were a coupla lumps of soft coal.

("...Jesus Smith..."; "...I don't know that we teach that...")

Posted by: ambivalentsince1850s ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:09PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And then he suddenly up and died.
>
> Why was that, do you suppose?

Umm, at 97 something is going to kill you. And chances are good there might have been a few other things wrong besides the cancer.

Not sure I'm following the point here. "incident to age" is a pretty broad brush -- there might be more specific causes, medically speaking, but I don't see the mystery, other than that he wasn't a doctor. Many doctors might have chosen to forego some of the more heroic efforts that get pushed on almost anyone with decent health insurance, given that they are more aware than civilians of the downsides.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 01:22PM

In the gospel doctrine lesson manual in 2005 there was a lesson about people who are sick.

It said that if you are sick, and not healed by a priesthood blessing, it is because you lack faith. period.

I remember this lesson because I was sick at the time. The teacher looked right at me the entire time. I couldn't believe the manual actually said that! I went home and read it. Sure enough, word for word. I never went to any classes after that.

The upper ups know this is what the church teaches. They don't want it to be know that a prophet dies of illness. That would mean he is lacking in faith. Who wants to belong to a church where the prophet doesn't have enough faith to be healed? It makes every word that came out of his mouth useless.

I'm sorry I can't provide a reference for this lesson. I used to have the manual, but threw it out, because it was garbage. It may be online somewhere. For all I know, it's still in the manual to this day. I don't have what it takes to read through all the crap to find it. That lesson was given in the fall of 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 01:25PM by Mia.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: April 18, 2012 02:20PM

Thanks Steve.

As a member in a far away place, I can tell you that the general knowledge here was that GBH was still going strong, I never knew about the cancer and we were led to believe he died of natural old age causes. Of course, mormon news do not travel much here, but our new did have a blurb on the president of the mormon church dying of old age, no more.

What bothers me is the lies, even if they are small, to keep a good image.

BTW, I always thought he wanted to live longer than ETB. After all he kept mentioning his age. =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.